Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp trouble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lam90, Jan 21, 2003.

1. lam90

lam90

Jan 21, 2003
    I am in the motions of buying a new rig and I dont know where to go. At the moment I'm considering:

Ampeg SVT-3PRO with an appropriate cab;

GK 700RB - with 4x10 RBH cab;

Mesa/Boogie - I think it was the 600 sumthin' or uther...

Anyhoo I really need some direction. I need to know what performs on stage and fairs well after a beating. At the moment I think I like GK sound...:confused:

2. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    if you like the GK sound, go with it. you'll have ample headroom with that setup. beware, with the GK config, you'll hear everything you play, and i do mean EVERYTHING. it's uber-clean and cuts like a mofo. some people are turned off by this. I think it's great. your call. try 'em, and buy the ones you like. that's what it boils down to. later---

3. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Go with gallien krueger. I like that sound a lot, but I bought glockenklang, which is better but comparing the prices not that much.

4. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    It's neither better nor worse, but congrats on the purchase. It's great gear, but don't confuse that with automatically being better or worse. If it sounded better to you, cool. To me, it sounds different.

5. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Of course, glock sounds more open, cleaner and it's very quiet and warm , but GK sound is very close. Oh, almost forgot... It's my opinion.:)

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    hehehe, i'm just making a point, and my argument still is valid. :p it's good stuff, and a nice purchase if you can afford it (not me!!!)

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  8. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I'd go with the GK, just because I have one and I love it. Just like ChenNuts said, it is very clean sounding, so it won't artificially color your sound (you can use different basses with dif. effects to make it sound the way YOU want it to sound).

The Ampeg, I think would be very good for metal/hard rock. Because there are a TON of metal/hr bassist that endorse Ampeg.