1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Troubles...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jbassplayer, Sep 11, 2008.

1. jbassplayer

jbassplayer

Jul 30, 2008
    As you know, hurricane Gustav left a terrible path of destruction after it came through Lousiana. My church lost nearly everything. It was flooded out and part of the roof is missing. Most of the Praise bands gear was saved from the rising flood waters, including my couple month old Fender Bassman 150. The problem is that my amp is malfunctioning. The tweeter is acting up and the speaker is rattling extremely( seems damaged). Last but not least I cant turn the master volume up past half-way without the power amp clipping( not the preamp but the poweramp!):( Would these problems be stemming from the harsh climate/ extreme humidity:confused:(we are missing part of the roof and its Louisiana).I am asking because of waranty /insurance issues. How should I go about handling this?

2. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Was the amp actually in water? If it was in just in a few inches of water, that would be enough to get those red overload lights wet (if your model has those). I would try drying it with a fan and/or light bulbs for a few days. You might want to carefully remove the speaker and check it.
    Maybe just drying out the speaker will help. or possibly you could need a new speaker.

3. jbassplayer

jbassplayer

Jul 30, 2008
    No it was not actually in the water, but there is a lot of moisture in the air, with no roof and a lot of rain which means lots of condensation. I was just wonering if the problem was the amp by it self or if it was caused by the extreme heat and humidity exposure.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    did the amp get wet from rain????

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it was working fine before, then it's the exposure. Could cause corrosion of connections or something similar. Time to take it to an amp repair shop. Maybe you can get it repaired under warranty.