Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp tuner output signal strength?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    *reposted due to amp in name of thread probably scaring most people off*

Hey all,

It's always been this way but finally bothered me enough to bother you all with it...

My Mesa Boogie M-2000's tuner output is going to a Korg DTR-2's rear input. It always registers really weak by not staying on the note for very long and is always jittery. I finally got sick and tired of putting up with it and decided to try it direct from my bass into the front input of the Korg. It tuned really really smoothly and fast.

Is the tuner output giving enough signal? Should I maybe use the effects loop out? Would that be more sufficient? Or maybe should I do the Bass > Korg > M-2000 thing?

Any ideas would be appreciated...thanks!

-T

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've never heard of anything like that. if anything, tuner outs are slightly hotter than the output of a bass. maybe the rear input is optimized for a line level signal? try plugging the bass directly into the back input and see what happens. also, the rear input could be faulty, or your tuner out could be odd. try plugging the tuner out into the front panel input and see what happens as well.

3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool...thanks for the advice on different avenues I can take. I will indeed try to route the tuner out to the front input of the tuner and see if I get the same results as plugging my bass direct into the tuner front.

And btw, I am proud patron of the Chum Bucket.

-T