Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp types

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by martinjbull, Oct 25, 2004.

1. martinjbull

martinjbull

Oct 25, 2004
    I am new to bass playing but 30 years a guitarist-mainly acoustic but got into electric past few years. Now getting into bass-my main guitar amp is a Soldano Hot Rod 50 plus-question I have is whether I can use this head (with a bass cab of course) as a bass amp without damaging it-its a £2000 amp and I don't want to risk it-I just want to experiment-might sound pants but who knows? -I see John Entwistle and others used Marshall heads-what do people think?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    for the most part tube guitar heads sound great with bass. a little aggressive, but cool. Just be sure to match the impedance setting on your amp with the impedance of the cabinets you use. You won't get super loud with 50 watts, but seeing as it's tube it should do ya ok for a good while. The bass signal itself shouldnt have any negative effect on your amp, (it's usually just guitar speakers that suffer). Ask soldano just to be sure but it should be fine. I've used a marshall 100 watt plexi before and it sounded wild. I want a soundclip of a soldano opened up with a bass!

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Like IvanMike wrote...make sure you match the impedance. And you'll need to use a very efficient bass cabinet!!!

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It should be fine. People use tube guitar heads as bass heads all the time. Just be sure to use a cab capable of low frequences (no guitar cabs). Some guitar heads are even advertized as usable for bass as well.

5. martinjbull

martinjbull

Oct 25, 2004
    hey this is really helpful-really appreciate the feedback given-thanks. Anybody out there using guitar tube heads for bass?

6. I've been using a Carvin 100 watt tube guitar power amp with BBE BMAX bass preamp with a Fender 1x15 with horn PA cab. I've got plenty of volume and I love the warmness of the tubes. My guitarist uses a 50 watt tube Fender Deluxe twin. When we play live I use the line out on the BMAX for the mains and I have plenty of stage volume. I plan on building the Tuba 24 cabinet from billfitzmaurice.com over Thanksgiving to maximize the 100 watts.

I think the tube guitar heads are cool as long as you have a bass preamp and a cabinet efficient enough to maximize output from the wattage provided. I should mention I play a 4string standard tuning.

7. martinjbull

martinjbull

Oct 25, 2004
    Hi thanx to mr wunderful and al the others offering advice.-I'm exploring how i can use my existing effects with bass-I rigged for guitar (Ernie Ball vol pedal, & Wah, MXR super comp compressor, Electro Harmonix Holy Grail reverb, Line 6 DL4 delay modeller, Mesa Boogie bottle rocket, Ibanez ts9 tubescreamer and lovely, 20 year old Boss Chorus). I think effects are like salt in cooking-a little is enhancing seasoning-a lot is potentially poisonous...! Do people think 'special' bass efects units are needed? I'm on such a steep learning curve here-My Bass is a MusicMan sub 4 string-very responsive instrument-this bass stuff is addictive huh??! I'm looking at an Ampeg cab btw to link to the soldano head...