1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp upgrade advice sought

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scopar1, Dec 31, 2011.

1. scopar1

scopar1

Jul 21, 2011
    I’m a novice bass player and a bass equipment neophyte. I play in a garage rock band that is starting to play some small venues and may one day move larger ones. My Ampeg BA115 barely keeps up with our guitars and so I need more power.

I’d like some advice on possible next rigs with the following ideas in mind:

- Lighter, smaller gear is much preferred as I have a mid-sized car and simply don't enjoy hauling excessively heavy gear.

- I think I’d like to move to amp/cabinet config (from my combo).

- I’d also like my next rig to be expandable (vs. simply replacing gear). Perhaps a larger amp with a cabinet that could added to later?

Any thoughts, wisdom, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

2. If you like Ampeg sound, PF500 head and two of the new 115's to match. Up for a slightly different sound, G-K MB500 or MB Fusion with two NEO 212's.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Basic advice, louder means more speakers, so a bass head in the 300-500 watt range is plenty, and pair that with an 8 ohm 4x10 for starters. Should go a looong way with that, and if you need louder still, another identical 8 ohm 4x10 is the answer.