Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp upgrade, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Twizm, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Twizm

Twizm

Oct 29, 2002
    sydney australia
    ok, ive been playing for almost 12months, im in a band and we are going to be gigging fairly soon, so im upgrading my bass amp.

so far i have looked at an ashton 150W head and 4x10 cabinet, and an ashton 300W head and the same cabinet. the 150W and cabinet package are $1198AU, and the 300W pack is $1498AU.

in the band situation im competing with a brutal drummer, a full on guitarist and a loud singer. we are also expanding to a synth guy soon. i looked at other higher quality 'names' but they are ay out of my price range. i am yet to play on the amps because they didnt have a lefty in store:rolleyes: but i will be taking mine in before buying regardless. which do you think will work the best? i could also go for the BA150 ashton 150W combo for $799AU. we are playing hard rock/metal, so which is the better deal?i think with keyboard and guitar i might need the 300, and its only a few extra bucks for double the output. im not willing to spend over $2000AU for anything if its got less power, regardless of the brand. currently i have a 15W amp thats about to buy the farm from some heavy thrashing:bassist: any help will be much appreciated.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    If your drummer is brutal I suggest the 300 watter and as many cabs as you can afford/carry.

3. i would definatly go the 300W, you will need that power, you might regret getting 150W when you find you need more power.

4. Twizm

Twizm

Oct 29, 2002
    sydney australia
    i will definitely buy more cabinets in the future, and i was also considering a single 15 inch cabinet with a 300W head to either accompany the 4x10 or a stand alone. any comments?

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you've got a 15W amp at the moment, even the the 150W is going to seem reasonably louder.

I'd suggest a two pronged approach:

1. Upgrade your gear. More than 150W might be good but I wonder if looking at a two cab solution might be worth considering - more speaker area = more air moved = bigger, more effective sound.

2. How about suggesting the others turn down a bit? Unless, of course, you all want to lose your hearing over the next few years :rolleyes: . If they won't turn down then at very least add the cost of a decent pair of earplugs to your equipment budget!

Wulf

6. Twizm

Twizm

Oct 29, 2002
    sydney australia
    we would turn down, though we are all playing 15W amps (or less mind you!) and we are in the drummers bedroom, which is maybe 10mx5m, and when you have a bed, couch, desk, drums and 5 people playing instruments in it, its very crowded and loud anyway. the 15W amps cope with the drums, but the singer really needs more power. anyway, i might look into a 300W head and 2 4x10 cabs? would they have sufficient power/air moving power to compete with the rest of the band? or would one cab do the trick?

7. You are getting ready to play out right? And you've never played in this type of situation before? Playing live for people and playing in the bedroom is about as different as it can get. If your drummer is playing that loud then that tells me one thing. He isn't listening to anyone else but himself. Well, anyway, the worst experience you will ever have (musically) is to be playing in a band with an underpowered rig. On one hand you can't hear yourself and on the other you're afraid your amp is going to blow any second. 300 watts and one 4x10 (depending on how good the speakers are) might do it. As for me, I'd put together as much power and speakers as I could put my hands on. Then turn it up until you can hear yourself real good, and then turn it down a little. That always works for me. Have FUN.

8. Twizm

Twizm

Oct 29, 2002
    sydney australia
    they are celestion speakers. i have played live before, with a 300W heartke head on a 4x10 heartke cab with an ashton 150W combo as a monitor for the drummer. it was the best set up ive ever played on, but obviously out of my price range =\

so im trying to emulate that the best i can. although i like the idea of a 300W and a cab. then adding more cabs and amps etc as i need.

anyone recommend a singel 15 cab to a 4x10?

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I wonder if a 150W head and two cabs would be better than a 300W head and one cab? If you're playing in a small bedroom at the moment and can hear yourself with a 15W practise amp, you'll be able to take the head and one of the cabs to practise (not taking up too much room) and have lots of speaker area for when you're gigging. Get cabs that are able to handle a bigger load and then you can keep them when you upgrade the head later on. It will also look more impressive on stage that way ;)

Mind you, FWIW, I'm using a 250W head (Ashdown Mag-250) and single 15" cab (Ashdown ABM Mini 1x15) and that has been ample for the situations I've found myself in over the last year (eg. working with guitar, keys, drums, horns and vox in an urban jazz / soul combo, or with 2 guitars and drums in a classic rock group in a range of small to medium venues).

It is also worth considering issues like size and portability - there's no point getting a huge stack if it ends up sitting at home because you can never get it to the gigs, or getting it there and finding you can't fit it on the stage. Again, have a look and see what's available second hand in your area - you'll get a lot more bang for your buck that way, if you're looking for volume rather than nuances of tone.

Wulf

10. i forget how many watts you need to get a 10db increase but i know that as you doubble the surface area of the total speakers (4x10 to 8x10)
    you will get a 3db increase and every 10db increase you doubble the volume. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57116&highlight=what+moves+more+air
    shows how much air you move with a certain set of speakers. and every time you doubble your watts you get a 3db increase. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88923

so in thery they would be the same volume.but in thery does not always turn out in real life