1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp upgrade: Terror Bass+Marshall 4x12 OR Ampeg 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gonzo476, May 16, 2011.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I'm going to buy a new rig later this year. I'm pretty much fixed on buying an Orange Terror Bass, but I don't know which cab to go for! I'm debating between a Marshall 4x12 or an Ampeg 8x10. Probably two totally different beasts, but I can't try any of them...
    Has anyone tried both? I play rock (indie, garage, grunge, a bit of old school punk) and electronica.

EDIT: link to the Marshall cab, just in case someone doesn't know it http://www.dv247.com/guitars/marshall-vbc412-bass-guitar-speaker-cabinet--61296

2. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    I'd go with the 4x12.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    +1 for the 4x12

4. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I forgot to mention that the 4x12 is rated at 400w and the Orange amp has a 500w power section. As long as I don't crank the volume will the cab be ok?

5. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    Yep. use your ears and you'll be fine.

6. yep, you will be fine...go with the 4x12. I play a 4x12 and love it! Cuts through the mix perfectly, with tons of low end available as well.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Maybe you might need a full range cab w/sub-woofer to do the electronica?

A couple of fEARful 15/6 cabs should do the job if you're a DIY'r or can have someone build you the cabs. Check them out here: fEARful™ enclosures for bass/drums/keys

8. Marshall