Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Upgrade.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Well I am kinda amp stupid, and I searched the forums and it looks like everything is dealing with 2000 bass heads and 4x10 speaker cabs. Kinda outta my reach I think. So I will ask for some help.

My Current Setup:
    Right now I play an old Crate BX25 bass amp it has contour, gain, 4EQ's, and a volume, 2 inputs 0 and -15DB, a headphone and a what looks like a pic of a speaker. Right now I am playing a passive bass P-Style, but will be looking into an upgrade of perhaps a music man Sterling but that isnt certain.

About what I need:
    I mainly play in my room and with my friends, who play guitar. We play rock, pop, punk. But I like to throw in some slap. I don't need 2000 watts... I dont want something completely huge. I was thinking of going up to 200-300 watt area from my current 25, that should be enough for some small gigging in bars if we do that right? I also like bassy tones.... I dont know how to describe it but i prefer the bass boost all the way up when i play on a music man. But I like it with presence as well rather than just warmth.....

The Question:
    What kind of thing should I be looking for? What sort of features will I need for an active bass? Or to make my current one sound better, because it basically has no tone right now. How many watts is necessary? My price range pretty much tops off at 400-500, I could buy used. Any help or direction towards help is appreciated.

Thanks, Mike.

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm not sure how much they cost, but a Nemesis combo sounds like what you need. Very nice combos--made by Eden. I played one of their 210 combos at BassCentral and it was killer, but at the time I was looking for a cab. If only I could go back in time....

3. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Hi, MBCTunes.
    There are a lot of good amps in that wattage & price range, so it's kind of hard to say. What kind of tone do you like: hifi tone (Gallien-Krueger, SWR)? deep bass (Ampeg, maybe Ashdown)? You'll most likely need to listen to a lot of amps in order to figure out what you like. If you go to http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data/#man, you can see a lot of reviews. You'll need to find some model names/numbers, too, which you can do on the internet or in a music shop.

People have been talking a lot lately about Ashdown, especially the MAG that has 2 10" speakers. I've not heard it, yet.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Check out the Yorkville XM200. I just got the XM200C from GIBSONGEEK at rock city guitars. The carpet covered version is cheaper than the painted finish, and looks very nice IMHO.

With tax and shipping, I paid a total of $401.45.

This thing is simple to operate, punchy and loud, and can drive an extension cab-a 4 ohm extension cab.

It has a two year unlimited warranty on the electronics, and 10 years on the wooden cabinet. From the research I did, I found that Yorkville Traynor is some of the most reliable gear out there.

Hope that helps. Call Corey at Rock City Guitars-the toll free number is 1-888-964-7100 (www.rockcityguitars.com has that number listed, in case I screwed up, and forgot the number :eek: ) He is a great guy-a real pleasure to deal with.

Let us know what amp you end up buying :bassist:

5. Hmm, I was actually thinking of buying on ebay or something.... a 300 watt eden combo here is gonna set me back 900 bucks in stores.... NOTHING is cheap around here.

6. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd check out an Ampeg BA-115. I used to have one. It's the 2nd best combo I've ever played. 1st was the Nemesis. I used the Ba-115 for almost 2 years. Don't know why I ever sold it......

Crap, now you've gone and made me cry. :bawl:

7. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Nevermind. I forgot that the Ampeg is only 100 watts. It does sound super loud though. I never had a problem competing with my band's Marshall half stacks.

You could look into a BA112 or BA210. Those are 220 watts I guess.