1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp vibtrates off of the speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    My Little Mark kept moving on top of my AE 112 cabinet at yesterday's gig. It fell to the floor before I noticed it but luckily it continued working. What's the best way to keep it stable?

2. nealw

nealw

Sep 9, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I made a little "nest" for my EA Doubler (<4 lbs) out of rubber cabinet feet. Now I can even tilt my cab back & it's stable.

3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I take the wheels off the back of my cab so it slants, and the head sits on top.

I use that anti-skid material, soft bubbly kind of stuff that comes in rolls, usually 12/14 inches wide, and NOTHING slides on that stuff.

4. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Pillow

Great to keep tubes from vibrating in old school heads too.

5. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    IMG_2514.jpg

6. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Buy some of that rubber-like stuff you line shelves with...looks like a mesh...thats what I use and its great.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks guys! You've given me great ideas.

8. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    A bassist I used to know had one of those old monster Acoustics (360?) with the 18" speaker cab, he used a 2" thick foam rubber pad.

9. neurotictim

neurotictim Gold Supporting Member

It's funny this thread should pop up - I had a gig this Saturday at an outdoor festival thing, and the sound guy (who was also playing later that day) wanted me to use his Ampeg 810 with my head, to avoid moving the fridge any more than necessary.

I took one look at the top of the Tolex'd cab, and this is the result:
    Tim6.jpg
    (Note the LMT800 on the ground to the right of the 810)

:ninja:

10. If your head is sliding off your cab, get a more efficient cab that doesn't waste energy vibrating.

Or you could do all the above suggestions, probably much cheaper that way. :bassist:

11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'm surprised that it did that because it doesn't move when it's on the UL 310.

12. I've noticed this same thing happening to my Shuttle since moving up to an SVT410HLF. I keep my tuner pedal on there (using the tuner out on the Shuttle), but you may wish to use a wallet or your cold beverage of choice (yes, yes, bass responsibly - if you're getting enough vibe off the cab that a drink on it could spill, maybe you're better off just keeping the head on the floor.)

13. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I didn't know that the head fell to the floor until my bass stopped working. I spent the whole evening watching it to prevent another fall.

The head still works too.

14. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    you didn't see your ex-girlfriend push it off then? :ninja:

15. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    +1. Different rig, but I also use a 2" foam rubber pad. Nothing rattles or buzzes, nothing moves around and it's GOTTA be better for the vacuum tubes, right?

16. Just get a bit of Blu Tack and stick a tiny ball of it to the bottom of each foot of the amp.

17. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    velcro strips?

18. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    I had drummer trip on a cord and pull it off. Got new drummer.

19. +1, I have the same issue with my GK MB500, great sounding head btw.

20. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    +1, probably the easiest way to fix this problem.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021