1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

amp volume controls both DI and stage amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bergerdude, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Bergerdude

Bergerdude

Jun 7, 2005
    Hi,
    When you change the volume of your stage amp, does that also increase the level from your DI out?

I think Edens have a dedicated DI level control, but many amps I have seen seem to increase everything.

Personally I have a BP41 and it has a seperate control for everything, and that is why I haven't changed to a newer preamp/amp in quite a while.

Do the newer amps...GB 6.0, the Marbass, etc. have seperate controls for each?

Thanks.

2. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    Most DI outs are separate from the rest of the amp. Often there's a switch/button that lets you choose Pre EQ or Post EQ; choosing Post means that what you change on the amp gets sent to the DI.

Almost any modern amp today has some sort of allowance for this in their DI section.

3. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It varies from amp to amp. There is no general rule that amp-makers adhere to. I have to say though that I've seen more preamps where the master volume did not affect the DI level than ones where it did.

Edit: Come to think of it, I cannot actually name one unit where the master volume controls the DI level. I've used several where there was no level control for the DI, and of course the input gain knob controls what goes into the DI as well, but the master volume is a separate deal altogether.

4. Bergerdude

Bergerdude

Jun 7, 2005
    So the DI level is set on most amps, and there is no controlling the level from the rig?

Like I said, its been a looong while since I went pre/amp shopping.

5. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    Not quite. A lot of amps DO (and should, if you ask me) have a knob that controls the output; some have only a 10db pad. But it's so easy to include that sort of control that if you're going to go to the trouble of providing a good DI built into an amp, why wouldn't you take the extra steps necessary to make sure that the output is as controllable as possible?

IMHO there should be a linear pad (knob form), a pre/post button, and a ground lift with every DI on any amp that provides over 200 watts of power. Might be just me, but like Bongomania, I can't remember seeing a high end amp without these three essential features.

6. heatheroo

heatheroo

May 22, 2008
    Ephrata PA
    my old Roland SIP-301 preamp has the DI output post-preamp. So..........any adjustment to the preamp volume (but not the master volume) affects the DI output............which I think is a bonehead design. Over the years most sound companies I have dealt with gave up trying to deal with it and just used a passive DI between my bass the the amp.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    My amps with DI's built in have all had the DI volume controlled by the gain knob, with the master being able to change amp volume without affecting the DI.

8. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

On my older SWR, if it's set for direct, there is no control of the DI. If it's set for line, the gain (and EQ) control the DI.

LeonD

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021