1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp w/ Bass in College

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JesusMetalFunk, Jun 5, 2012.

1. JesusMetalFunk

JesusMetalFunk

Aug 11, 2011
    I didn't know where exactly to post this, but amps seemed like a decent place.

So I will be moving to college soon, don't know where or what, but I wanted TB's advice on playing at college.

Specifically, I don't think bringing a 4x10 with a crazy powerful head would be a great idea for a dorm however much I want to bring one. ( unless it also functioned as a desk)

Any of you college guys have advice on what to do w/ amps? Say I wanted to play out, should I grab a sansamp? What is a higher quality amp just to have deliberate practice, but yet not crazy big.

I currently practice through a 1x15 combo with a head in the 200-250 range, and I think it would be too bulky to bring.

On a side note security for bass and amp. What are your experiences with this. I have a moderately expensive bass,(Warwick) and that with an expensive amp, I couldn't really afford a new bass. Should I look on the used market for a cheap bass security etc.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In a dorm setting, any amp is going to bring complaints from time to time, even if you do not turn it up. Unless you will have gigs while you are in college, I recommend an amp of 100w or less for your dorm room. I also recommend something like a Pocket Rockit headphone amp so that you can practice without making enemies because once you get tagged as a trouble maker, any noise at all will bring complaints.

3. Headphone amp and beater bass for the dorm room. Unless you're going to music school.

You don't want to be worrying about your gear while you're at class. Bring something you won't have to try and secure, because you can't.

Is college going to be far away from home? I was 1800 miles from home, but most students are waaay closer.

4. I brought my bass and rig to the dorm, in fact I lived with a buddy who was a bass player as well so we had two rigs in the room. We got creative on storage as space is a premium but we ended up having: 2 beds bunked on top of two dressers, two wardrobes, two desks, mini fridge, futon, tv, microwave, my 410 and head, his 115 combo, four basses, and all of our other possessions in our room and it didnt feel cramped.

A note about security, regardless of which your possessions you are interested in bass gear or otherwise, dont be foolish. Between computers, music gear, movies, video games and everything else we had thousands of dollars of stuff in our room, we never had anything stolen. Lock up you room every time you leave, no questions. Both my roommate and I locked each other out more than once. Sure it was a pain in the ass, but you know what I never had anything stolen. Better to not have access to some of my stuff for a bit, than to have to replace something I need.

All that said I wouldnt bring a 410 to the dorm if I had to do it all over again. For my tastes and IMHO I would pick up a [​IMG] and something like a GK MB800. That rig would kill and be loud enough for most medium gigs. The cab is great for Sound per pound and sound per size, the head is lightweight and will drive that cab to 410 type volumes.

5. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had a one room double this last year, and I had a Sunn 200s and Ampeg B25 (2x15) cab in my room. Space wasn't an issue at all. The only time I received complaints was if I played past quiet hours, or once or twice I was politely asked to turn down as someone was working on a paper. Worked out pretty well.

6. Johnny DeVille

Johnny DeVille

Feb 18, 2012
    Fly your bed. Take what you want. I had a great bassist friend in college with no amp. Had to borrow one. That was 30 years ago but we jammed a lot and never got complaints except stupid late or during finals. Lock the door. Check out insurance.

I went in first quarter with no stereo and now guitar or amp due to all the same concerns. Lasted 4 weeks

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Took my Fender Dual Showman 215 to college in 1968.

8. JesusMetalFunk

JesusMetalFunk

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks for the response, it seems that if I am careful, not a jerk about it, and I can figure out some sort of organization, it can work.

All appreciated.