Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp watt distribution to cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Milky Pisswit, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Milky Pisswit

Milky Pisswit

Nov 29, 2005
    New Zealand
    Hey all. Just been having a look through the FAQ's trying to find an answer to my stoopid question, but couldn't find anything specific, so thought I'd give it go in here.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to how the watts from an amp are distributed to cabs in a rig set-up? Do the watts get distributed evenly to each cab (i.e. split down the middle) or does it depend on how many cones you're running on the whole cab set-up?

The reason I ask is because I've got a 115 rated for 200w and 410 rated 400w. My head puts out 480w @ 4 ohms and 320w @ 8ohms. Just wanting to know for the sake of knowing really, and so I can better assess any future cabinet additions to ensure I don't do anything that would risk my gears.

Anyway; stoopid, annoying question probably, but thanks in advance. :meh:

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    need more info. what's teh impedance of each cabinet? (ohms)

the rating of the power handling (watts ) of the cabs isn't relevant.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    If they are both 8 ohm cabinets then they will both see 240 watts each

4. Milky Pisswit

Milky Pisswit

Nov 29, 2005
    New Zealand
    Both 8 ohms (400w/8ohms 410 & 200w/8 ohm 115)

So would it split 240 into each? That would be too much of an issue for a cab with a 200w rating...?

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    if htey are both 8 ohms, it'll "split" the watts evenly between the cabs.

should be fine. uness you have it cranked "to 11" and are giving the low eq a workout.

6. Milky Pisswit

Milky Pisswit

Nov 29, 2005
    New Zealand
    Sweet, thanks for ya help;)