1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp wattage for 1x15•2x10 or 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Devon Bustard, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. So the bass cabs I'm looking at are the Traynor ones ( I think they only make be bass can anyways). So I saw a 1x15 and 2x10 cab put together and I was wondering what amount of wattage would an amp need to be able to run that comfortably. I was thinking about a 500 or so watt. And how would the sound differ from a 4x10 of the same model?

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Wattage and speaker size have no correlation. What you must be concerned with is how many ohms each cabinet is and the minimum load the amplifier can handle.
    You will find a lot of players here who will denounce the mixing of 210 and 115 cabinets. The only way to understand how different cabinets sound is to play through them.
    There is really so much information on TB about this: take some time to read what others have already posted.

3. 215.

4. A 2x10 and a 1x15 might work very well together or that might not. Identical cabinets always work well with each other.

5. Okay so I see that a 210 and 115 might not work together that great.. I thought that a 115 would fill empty space and add some boom. Well I think that I could get a 210 then buy another 210 later. If I had a 400 watt 210 (8ohm) would a 400 watt amp go good with it?

6. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Speaker size has no bearing on "tone". There are 10s with more bottom than 15's. What matters is the design of the speaker and the design/tuning of the cab(s). Two 210's would be excellent. Especially if you stack them vertically.

As far as an amp, you need to be sure the minimum ohms of the amp is equal or less then the ohms your two cabs will produce. If you get two 8 ohm cabs you'll be golden. Most amps these days have a 4 ohm minimum, though there are more and more that will go down to 2.6 or 2 ohms. Two 8 ohm cabs wired in parallel (the way most amps are wired - either by daisy chaining or running one cable to each cab) will be 4 ohms. Should be safe with most any amp.

Amp wattage: It only takes 1 watt to drive a speaker. You can use an amp of any size as long as you use your ears and turn down and/or cut the bass eq at the first sign of speaker distress (farting). The 500 watter you proposed should be just about perfect, Not too big to run 1 400 watt cab as you mentioned, and just fine with two cabs.

May I suggest that you check out the stickies at the top of the "Amps and Cabs" forum. Lots of good info there.