Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp wattage question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dmny79, Aug 23, 2003.

1. dmny79

dmny79

Aug 22, 2003
    Fayetteville, NC
    If an amp puts out 700 watts and you have two speaker cabs. of the same impedence will both cabs get 700 watts or split the wattage. Also what's the differance if the amp is mono or stereo. I'm about to buy some equipment and I just want to know so I can be more informed. All I have right now is practice combo amp. Thanks for the help.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    the wattage will be split.

I think, a stereo amp is good if you run two different types of cab, say one has a sensitivity of 99db and the other 103db, with a stereo amp that has two channel gain controls (volume control on front of power amp for each channel) you can balance the volumes between the two cabs. or if you like the 15" cab to be louder than the 4x10. if you run identical cabs you can get away with mono amp. stereo is also good for people who like alot of effects, that way one channel can be effects channel and the other clean. most stereo amps can be "bridged" combining left and right channels to create one larger mono output for the amp. in general stereo amps are more expensive than a mono version from the same company

my pick: EA iamp 800 (look to the left)

3. dmny79

dmny79

Aug 22, 2003
    Fayetteville, NC
    MCrelly thank you for the reply. I appreciate your help.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes the wattage will be split allright
    be very careful not to go under the amps minimum ohm load or you will fry it
    most amps are rated to power down to 4 ohms, some will do 2 ohms
    likewise an amp will not put out as much wattage at 8 ohms as it will at 4
    if the amp is rated for 4 ohms you can use 1 - 4ohm speaker or 2 - 8 ohm speakers
    btw, dont use a 8 ohm speaker and a 4 ohm speaker on an amp that is rated for 2 ohms (mono or perside in a stereo amp) as the 4 ohm will get twice the juice as the 8 ohm and it will seem as if the 8 ohm cab is doing nothing
    i always advocate for going for a stereo head or a preamp and a stereo power amp as it offers you the most flexibility in the long run and you'll be less likely to be looking to replace it down the road
    of course, these systems are usually expensive so make sure you can swing it (and that you really need that much wattage and flexibility)

5. dmny79

dmny79

Aug 22, 2003
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your help.