Amp wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman2004, Jun 25, 2001.

1. bassman2004

Jun 22, 2001
    How much wattage should I get since I'm just starting out?
  2. A 15 watt practice amp is perfect for learning how to play. A perfect next (or first really) step is something like a 50w combo with a 12 or 75w 15... Something you can hear with a guitar.
  3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i think the best thing to start with is a 60 watt 12. i started with a PieceOf**** crate 30 watt 10. go for 12s. they sound much better with the low end
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As much wattage as you can get for what you can spend, as long as you're not compromsing the quality of the speaker.

Getting 60 - 100W means you probably won't be going out the week after you buy one to look for something that has the headroom to let you turn up the master volume past 12 o'clock without distorting.
  5. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Don't be afraid to shell out a bit. You will have more fun playing if you aren't pissed at bad tone all the time.

One cool beginners amp would be a Fender Bassman 25. That has gotten great reviews and if it is anything like my old Fender Sidekick 30, I believe it!

Another one for a bit more would be the Carvin PB100-10. This is a cool amp, with some tonal range. Or it's big brother PB100-15 is just $20 more and you'll get more bottom end, as well as volume, but less portability.

The Peavey Basic 12 looks cool, and I have heard one good review of it.

Another thing I recommend is get a amp with a line out jack. It's cool to be able to record from a small practice amp.
  6. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Some small practice amps that I've played through that are very good are the Fender Bassman 25, Fender Frontman 25B, Trace Elliot Boxer 30, and Ampeg BA-110. They'll all get loud enough and deep enough to keep you ears happy until you're ready to move up. Even then, one of these little guys is good to keep around as a bedroom/living room amp that sounds great for practice but won't blast the glass out ot your windows.
  7. bassman2004

Jun 22, 2001
    I just got the Fender Bassman 25, it's pretty good
  8. My vote is for the Bassman 25 also. I have a Peavey Minx 110 practice amp that is also OK. Anything less is too small.
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Howdy! How's the transplant going??? :D
  10. The dip**** that sold me the 10" Rockford burned me. I bid and paid for a Rockford RFR-2210, and the seller shipped me an obsolete RFD-1210 Rockford in an RFR-2210 box. They were in total denial of defrauding me.

It took a dozen emails and a guarantee of me filing Federal mail fraud charges to get them to agree to a refund. They kept telling me to live with it, it was a great value, and I could always resell (read: burn) somebody else on eBay.

I have TRASHED their feedback rating with the big FRAUD word.

They are supposedly going to send me a money order refund plus shipping in mid-July. I'll believe it when I see it. Trailer trash... can't even cover a $100 obligation until next payday.

Anyway, the Minx 110 makeover is now on hold until I get the right driver. The RFR-2210 is out of production this year, so I have to try and find one. The old ones are superior to the new RFR-3110, and much less expensive as well.
  11. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Sorry to hear about that. I am glad they sold it to you. (sorry) But the reason is that you knew the difference and were able to force them to take it back. Good job. Too bad they can change their ebay name to get rid of your neg feedback, but at least when they do that they lose all the pos feedback too.

I hope you get the other speaker soon!