Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp watts question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by *Munkeh*, May 18, 2005.

1. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    I am torn between choosing a 300w Ashdown combo or 300w Laney combo and i've heard that you need an ext. cab for the ashdown combo so it runs its max. output power of 300w, without a cab. it will only run around 200w. Is this the case with all combo amps needing an ext. cab to run their full capacity or just ashdown amps?

Thanks. :cool:

2. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I believe what you are seeing is that the combo is rated @ 200 watts @ 8 ohms and 300 watts @ 4 ohms. Is this correct?

If so the speaker is rated @ 8 ohms and you'll need another 8 ohm speaker to pull all 300 watts.

3. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    The ashdown is Minimum impedance 4 Ohms
    The Laney is 8 Ohm

Both amp combos are 300 watts, not 200 watts.

*Still confused* :(

4. No, Post #2 is correct IMHO. ;)

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok, I just went to the Ashown site.

It shows 307 watts RMW @ 3.9 ohms. I think you saw this:

"All MAG combos have extension speaker outputs and are loaded with Ashdown BlueLine speakers for exceptional attack, clarity and low-end performance"....meaning you could connect another cab to it, provided you don't go lower than 4 ohms total, otherwise your gonna fry that head!

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Both combos do ~180W at 8ohms (just the combos)
    Both can also power an 8ohm extension cab and then give 300W into a full load of 4ohms.

How do I know? I own a MAG410 and I have owned a Laney R5, which are different speaker combinations, but the same amps in both cases. (MAG head in the Ashdowns, and Laney R4H in the Laneys.)

Jack.

7. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Excellent, thanks for the replies all.

Jack, out of the Laney and Ashdown, which amp is better?

Cheers!

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Tough question, I think theyre both just as good, the best I can do is go through the advantages of each I suppose, then you can decide based on the sound and other factors that are important to you.

NB: This refers to the Laney R5 and MAG210 combos only, no extension cabs, nada. I owned the Laney for a long time, then I sold it when all my gigs were DI only, when I needed an amp again, I decided on the MAG.

I had my heart set on the MAG 210 combo, only to find the store didnt have any, so I simply HAD to buy the 410 instead. :D

Laney R5:
    This amp is more manageable size wise, it just seems to be moved better, not sure if its actually smaller or lighter though. Its also got the tilt-back feature to be used as a stage monitor. Sound wise this amp is more neutral and cleaner than the Ashdown. Its got the semi-parametric eq and a more versatile sound that would suit any genre, its not hi-fi like EA or Accugroove, but its good. That EQ is the only thing I really miss.

Ashdown MAG C210-T
    Ashdown really seems TB new baby, and with good reason. Ashdowns have a huge, thick, warm tone that I could listen to for days. People have described it like the offspring of Eden and Ampeg and thats the best description Ive ever heard. If a nice, solid rock or blues tone is your bag, then nothing will touch an Ashdown. The five band EQ is very versatile, but obviously not as much as the Laney. Also, the cabs are covered in rat fur, as opposed to the tolex used on the Laneys. I find the fur more durable but if youve got cats there will be cat hair all over your amp.

One more thing, neither of these amps are really loud by themselves. Depending on how loud your gig is, you might find yourself needing more if you play in a rock or top 40 type band.

There you go. If I still had the Laney, I would have bought the Laney ext cab and been more than happy. But my tonal tastes had changed, and I got a REALLY good deal on the MAG C410-T and the 115 Deep Cab.

Jack.

9. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Good stuff there Jack, i really appreciate all the info and help :D

Last question is which amp has more growl? I am a big fan or growl and would like to know which one is better at it.

The bass i currently have and use is a Yamaha RBX374 (which gives a nice light growl on my Laney HCM30B amp)

Thanks.

10. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    For the real low and funky growl, use the parametric low-mids on the Laney.

For the higher-pitched Warwickesque growl, try the Ashdown.

Actually, try both, as much as you can.

11. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Will do, Jack! As soon as my university exams are out of the way :D

Cheers!

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I know the feeling, got my next GCSE (Spanish listening) on Monday. :help:

Jack. :)

13. Paulotron

Paulotron

Jun 5, 2005
    does anyone have any opinions on the DI out on the laney? Also, it being post eq, does it cut out the limiter and compressor should they be on. Cheers.

14. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    The DI was good, but nothing special. Its the same with most heads and amps, the DIs just arent as good as the standalone units you cany buy. I used it in clubs and pubs though, worked fine.