Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp watts v cab watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by subaudio, Feb 8, 2004.

1. I have a GK 700rb (380 + 50 watts) amp, and I like the idea of having just a 1X12 cab for smaller gigs, I was thinking about the Aguilar cab, rated at 300 watts, are there any rules regarding wattage differences with amps and cabs? :bassist:

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    You'll be fine.
    It's a good match.

3. I don't know about any rules regarding cab watts vs. amp watts but I usually like a cab to be rated for twice the wattage rms as the rms wattage of the amp. Also for tube amps the cabs rms wattage should be high enough to handle the peak wattage. So as an example I have a vintage ampeg svt that puts out 300 watts rms with 700 watts peak watts and I use a newer ampeg svt-av that handles 800 watts rms so it can easily handle the peak wattage. It sounds like over kill but I have never blown a speaker. Now my vintage svt 810 cab is another story (only rated for 240 watts rms, which is why you are supposed to used two of them).

4. Thanks guys, I guess what I really wanted to know was Will I blow speakers using an amp that is rated higher than the cab :bassist:

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If you use the amp sensibly and the mismatch is not so extreme as to be absurd, then probably not. People do it all the time and get fine results. Remember, just because an amp is rated at X watts, that doesn't mean it's actually putting out all that power all the time.

But if you run your amp pretty hard, that kind of mismatch is likely not a good idea. If, say, you're near-diming a 300 W amp into a 200 W cab, you're heading for trouble. OTOH, if you've got, say, a 1000 W amp that's "loafing" into a 600 W cab, you're likely to be fine.

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Actually most players are using amps rated at twice what the cab is rated. For instance I'm using a 1200 watt amp with 2 Berg HT112's rated at 300 watts each. When I'm using one cab I'm pushing 800 watts into the 300 watt cab. (BTW, in 30+ years of playing I've never blown a speaker) I think you'll find this to be very common. You'll have no problem with 700RB with the Aggie cab.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Most? I doubt that very much. Certainly it's not true of what I've seen. "Many," without question; "most," I don't think so. But as you say, it often works fine. Heck, I'm going for the big iron next time I buy. :)

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think that's for people playing solid state amps who want a clean tone with no distorsion. But you don't buy a tube amp for ultra-clean tone, you get it for the awesome tube overdrive. :bassist: