Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp Wheels/Casters

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Golem II, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on buying casters for a bass cab or combo? Is it possible to install any without drilling holes in the cabinet? (For instance, do they make any that can be attached to the screws in the plastic cornerpieces?) If drilling is necessary, where can I find a guide on how to do it without messing up the cab's tuning and all?

2. If you'd rather not drill your cab, how about borrowing from an old Ampeg idea? Build or buy a dolly/caster-cart. Whether it's a small combo like a B50 or a wall of sound 810, its been done before. Even if you would want the dolly attached it would require less screws/drilling (maybe 4 screws) vs. attaching each caster directly (probably 16 screws). What exactly are you wanting to caster?

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I think if you attach the kind of casters that stay on permanently (as opposed to the ones where you can pull the caster out and put them back in when you want) you should be alright. 16 tiny screw holes arent going to change things much. i did that with a Hartke 410XL that I owned about 10 years ago and never noticed any differnce in sound.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My experience;

- Tried the casters that simply screw into the cab - Didn't work out. Sometimes I'll play in place where the pavement is full of big bumps, like a historic district where the streets are paved with old bricks. The screws tore out very soon

- Telescoping dolly w/bungee cords like Ampeg and some sound reinforcement companies make - Worked out okay but they were just more "stuff" to hassle with

- Bought some screw-in, heavy duty, caster sleeves and pop-in/out casters from Carvin - turned out to be best solution for me. They just get wheeled in/out, and I just leave casters in sleeves all the time.
    I'm no acoustic engineer but since the sleeves and casters seal off the holes, I don't perceive any sonic difference, nor, more importantly to me, does the audience.

I also like jazzbasser's dolly-cart suggestion very much. I remember old Ampeg Portaflex's with these
    and they seemed like a very good, low-hassle idea. I'm just no good with tools, so whatever I made would be screwed up somehow.

If you go with casters, whatever you do, don't skimp on the quality.

5. Get A Hand Truck!!!!
    If you are carrying your gear in a truck or van, a hand truck might work for you. Go to a home improvement store in your area and check out the differnent types they have.
    Casters aren't good for "long rolls". Dollies, though they don't take up much space, don't make me feel comfortable with "pushing" me gear around.
    Happy trucking
    Chuck