1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp with 1 speaker-out...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Berten, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Berten


    Jun 6, 2002
    ...and speakers with just an input.

    Brand like ashdown and warwick have amps with only 1 output and their cabs have in- and outputs. Can I hook 2 cabs with only an input up to one off these heads? How?

  2. Chasarms

    Chasarms Casual Observer

    May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Are you talking about a combo amp or a head?

    Most combo amps have a very specific ohm load need if you want to use an extension cabinet. Most are equipped with an 8-ohm speaker and are looking for an 8 ohm extension to make a final load of 4 ohms. So, I guess you could wire two extra 4-ohm cabinets in series and use them as an extension.

    If you are talking about a head, you could use a simple Y cable. I've never seen a speaker Y-cable, but they're probably out there or could be made easily enough. If using a Y-cable, you are bound to the same ideas that apply with parallel jacks on a head or cabinet. The two cabinets will combine in parallel, so two 8-ohm cabs make a 4 ohm load, two 4's make 2, etc.