Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp with bass pod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cermony, Mar 9, 2003.

1. cermony

cermony

Jan 21, 2003
    sao paulo, brazil
    i´ve got a bass pod and i am pretty impressed with its sound quality. actually i was thinking if i could get rid of my peavey bass amp and use a power amp (like the alesis ra150) with a set of speakers or even use one of those mackie active speakers directly thru the pod and no bass amp anymore for live gigs at small clubs and playing at the studio.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That would work...

You might want to use a small mixer between the POD and the power amp...gives you a little more flexibility and can make gain adjustments for the power amp.

My bass rig serves more than one purpose...I have my bass pre feeding one channel of a mixer, my Behringer Vamp 2 (a guitar POD like device) feeds a stereo channel and my drum machine feeding another stereo channel. That way, I can run everything through my power amp and cabinets.

With the POD's onboard speaker emulation, it's a good idea to use pretty neutral sounding cabinets.

Sounds like a great setup...enjoy it!

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I honestly thought that the "amp simulation" thing would be a passing fad. I was wrong. They seem to have cemented themselves in the home-studio market but I rarely see tham used for live work here in OZ. One bloke describes his as "a $2000 tuner" but admitted it worked well for recording. Are they common in live rigs where U come from?

4. LessWooten

LessWooten Guest

Mar 22, 2003
    Perrysburg, OH
    I would keep my Peavy. ur gonna run into all sorts of little annoyences.

5. I've got the PODpro that I use like a pre-amp into a QSC PLX1202 into an Hartke 4.5XL. Even though Hartke isn't the most "Studio Monitor" type of enclosure, I manage to be able to get a good sound in just about every room I work in. In a boomy room with a lot of echo, I dial up the SVT sound and in a dead room I use the Eden setting. And, in some other rooms I use the "Tube pre-amp" setting. It also has a 1st class compressor and tuner as well as some cool effects. It's not for everybody but, I enjoy mine. When I get tired of it, I replace it with my Alembic F1-X. Talk about going from one extreem to another.