Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp with the tightest lows

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bedrock, Feb 2, 2006.

1. bedrock

bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    O.K. I would love to get feedback from others on which amps have the tightest lows. I am looking for a very non-tube like sound. In other words, a slightly stiff sound. I like to solo the bridge pick-up on my jazz bass and crank the bass knob up high. I find that real tubey amps just get muddy when you crank the bass up, even though their flat sound "sounds" deeper, due to the rounding effect of the tubes. I am currently using a GK 1001 RB, which I am actually quite happy with. However, when I read all the buzz about Euphonic Audio, Thunderfunk, Walter Woods, Markbass, etc., the grass starts to look a little greener. Unfortuneately, I know of no dealers in Pittsburgh that stock any of these amps, so I have had no chance to try them.

2. I think your GK is right were you want to be with the sound you are describing. The Thunderfunk also has that tonal characteristic IMO. The Walter does not quite as much IMO, and even though the iAmp has great EQ... I would describe its low end as wider and full versus totally tight and punchy like the TF. (IMO, as always).

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I actually just sold an Iamp800 because I felt it was too polite and a little too warm in the lows. Great amp, without a doubt but I tried for a long time to find my tone with it and decided to move on.
    I gigged with a GK 1001RB-II a couple of months ago and honestly liked its quick snappy tone a little better.
    I haven't had the chance to try a TF or Markbass but both of those amps are on my list as well.
    For the money, the GK is hard to beat!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    iAMP-800, bar none... like a fist to the chest.

my TFB is mad tight as well, but IMHO, the 800's extra dalloup of wattage does make a diff. now if only Dave would make an 800 watt TFB... hmm...

5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've heard from other Iamp800 users that their amps really did have that kind of "kick", but mine never did. Mine was plenty loud but didn't have that viceral "ka-pow" that I easily found with the GK that I tried.
    Maybe I'll try another Iamp800 someday but I'd really like to try a Markbass SD800, the new model TF 550, and there's a new Ashdown ALAD1000 coming out shortly that looks interesting as well.

6. bedrock

bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. Since I really like my GK, I will put my GAS on hold. I certainly have never had any issues being heard on stage with that amp. It is loud, clean and punchy. My upright bass stays really focused through it as well.