Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp with your Sadowsky?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RudeMood, Dec 21, 2004.

1. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I have a Sadowsky Metro Vintage 5, ash/maple. It's pretty bright sounding and I'm struggling a bit to find the "sound". I had a NYC Vintage 5 before that had more of a thump to it, but this Metro seems more bright. I am going to experiement with different strings, but I'm wondering what amps/rigs you all use with your Sadowskys. I currently have an ampeg B2R with aguilar GS 112 cabs. I'm thinking of selling the Ampeg for a Gallien-Krueger. The Metro tone is very bright, and the E and B strings seem kinda muddy. Any suggestions?

2. I have a NYC Vintage 5. What strings are you using? I rotate from Sadowsky strings to DR Low Riders (I like medium-light gauge) and have no complaints on either the B or E strings.

For amplification, I like a clean amp (QSC PLX), a versatile preamp (Kern) and accurate speakers (Acme). I am very pleased with the tone of this setup. I sold an Ampeg setup for my current rig several years ago and can't find a reason to change.

Good luck!
    Jeff

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    The EA iAMP 800 is the best sounding amp i've used with my Sadowskys - but heck, go to www.basstasters.com and hear for yourself. Every preamp on the site is played at least once with a Sadowsky bass.

Plus, EA and Sad are the two best companies at customer service in the business IMHO.

4. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I currently have Rotosound nickles, but will be trying their pressurewounds to cut down on the brightness and string noise.

5. I have a NY Jazz with ash maple combo.

Kern IP777 preamp, Crown K2 power amp,Euph Audio VL210 cab

6. mgbass

mgbass

Mar 31, 2004
    Northern KY
    I have found this combo to make my Metro Vintage 5 sound killer!

QSC 2402, Demeter Pre, Avalon U-5, and Accugroove "El Wappo".
    This rig rocks the house.
    I have also found my Mesa Boggie combo with 2-10" cones be extremely articulate.

You might change strings if you are getting a muddy B & E, or check pup distance from string to pup.

Metros are bright thats for sure, and it does take some tweaking to get it dialed in.

Good Luck

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

When my Sadowsky P5 arrives I will be playing it through a Read Purity preamp*, Stewart 2.1 power amp, and Bergantino speakers. :bassist:

*If I'm in a dirty mood I will sometimes use a SansAmp RBI or Ampeg SVP-Pro instead, but the Purity is my favorite.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Ampeg SVT-2 PRO with SVT-410HLN.

9. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    The GK is going to be much brighter than the Peg. Get it right with the Peg before you go changing amps and start fighting two variables at once. Call Roger and get his input. Measure your pickup height so you will have this info ready when you talk to him.

These comments about how bright Sads are make me wonder if they are not for me...I'm getting more treble shy and rounder in my old age...literally.

10. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Trace Elliot V4 or V6 thru a Bergantino NV-610.

It'll hurt you.

11. For a short time I was using that same rig with my ash/maple Sadowsky Tokyo: B2R > GS112. Although I like the B2R and GS112 individually I found the combination to be muddy and lacking in definition. Te GS112 has an inherent mid-scoop apparently, and I had to cut the lows and highs and crank the mids on the B2R to get an acceptable sound.

At the moment I'm using an Ampeg B100R and a GK 800RB into the GS112. Both sound good with the Tokyo, though the GK/Aggie combo is more aggressive than I'm accustomed too. With both amps I start with the controls set flat and maybe roll off a little of the high end and/or boost the mids depending on the room.

Hope that helps.

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    hi!

I have 3 sadowsky's. One is a metro. I use a demeter pre, QSC 2402 amp, epifani 2x12.

Here is something I really believe. Try setting your amps preamp controls to flat. Use the preamp controls on the bass. See how this sounds. I pretty much set the demeters tone controls to zero, except for a bit of bass and a bit of presence if the strings are going dead. Try this

Rob

13. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA

Are you my long lost brother or something???

When my Sadowsky P/J arrives in a month or two, I will be playing it predominantly through (gasp) Read Purity Preamp, Stewart 2.1, and Bergantino Speakers.

CanNOT wait any more, and every other thread on here seems to be about sadowsky!!!

14. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I got my Metro MV4 two days ago. It has the Trans White finish and it is a beautiful bass. I haven't had a chance to crank it up through my amps yet, but even using my headphone amp setup, it sounds great. When I do get a chance to crank it up, it will be through a Demeter VTBP 201s preamp and a Stewart 1.6 amp on top of two Aguilar GS212's. And when I'm in a mellower mood, I'll be playing through my Mesa Walkabout Scout. I have no doubt that both rigs will be awesome.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Indeed, I am your brother from another mother!! :D

The wait is getting to me too (sigh)... must be patient, it'll be done when it's done!

16. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I have a QSC PLX and Epifani 3x10. I sold my Alembic F-1X.
    I'll either get a Demeter pre or some head and sell the amp.

Amp possibilities are Thunderfunk, SWR and GK...for now.

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    When I got my metro I went with the Alder/Morado combo because of brightness. All of the Ash/Maples did Marcus real well but didn't seem to have as much thump as the Alder bass. I also went with the vintage tone control. As far as rigs every thing I own goes through a U5, Ebs compressor into an old Eden Traveler/410 rig, has plenty of thump for me. The one suggestion I can make is switch to a nickle roundwound, they'll be a little less bright then the origional stainless sadowskys. Also go easy on the tone controls , they have a ton of boost. As far as Amps I've always found GK to be on the bright side, and prefer Eden or Agular for a more vintage or R&B type tone. It seems that the metal guys love the SWRs and the GKs, but for a more vintage sound it's hard to beat Eden, Agular or HIGHER END all tube Ampeg. Good luck, Steve B

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I like the way a Sadowsky sounds through an Ampeg. :bassist:

19. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    hell with that rig damn'er anything should sound good going thru it.

20. ksukev

ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    I run my Sadowsky through an ellaborate setup, it is as follows:

1.) Sadowsky Metro RV5

2.) Radial Engineering JDV-Mk3

Any questions???