1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp won't power up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by katplaysbass, Jul 28, 2012.

1. katplaysbass

katplaysbass

Jul 19, 2012
    I've been looking for a new amp recently and I found a Trace Elliot 1x15 V-Type combo tube amp on my local CL for $300. After doing some research, I've decided that this amp is perfect for me - it's a tube amp, it's a good size and $300 is a total bargain. I've been e-mailing the guy selling it and after a couple of e-mails discussing when we can meet up, I get an e-mail from him saying that he "might have some issues with the amp," because it's "not powering up for some reason." This really bummed me out because there are no other tube amps in my price range on my CL (I'm a college kid and I have no money).

What do you guys think I should do? Right now I'm waiting to see if he's able to get the amp working again, but I think it's probably pretty fixable and I could get the price down and then just bring it in to the amp doctor myself. Is this generally really expensive/would the be a chance the amp is NOT fixable?

I found the same amp at a local store but it's priced at $500. A little steep for me, but I might have to break the bank if it's the best combo I can find.
    There's also a Fender Bassman 250/210 combo, a 1975 Randall RB-120 combo, and a GK MB 212 combo on my CL. I've also seen some Orange combos that are under $300 new. Does anyone know anything about these amps? Should I think about one of them instead? I was just really hoping for the tubes on the Trace Elliot.

2. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Sounds like you're fairly new to the amp buying game. Try not to be totally set on buying a tube amp, there are plenty of other great amps out there in your price range. I wouldn't buy an amp that I had to put money into right away, unless it was dirt cheap. But who knows, maybe the amp just needs a fuse. Also, being set on a combo amp also limits your options.
    The longer you wait, the more money you can save up, more research and test playing you can do, Etc.

3. If you are looking for a "Tube amp" the Trace is not all tube anyway. It is a tube preamp and SS power section.

I would be partial to the MB212 myself on your list.