Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sams, Mar 21, 2001.

1. sams

sams

Mar 20, 2001
    East Orange, NJ
    I play mostly gospel music and I own a 5string Ibanez..any recommendations on a nice amp head?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Hello and welcome to the board

some pointers for you

you stand a good chance of getting conflicting answers as everyone will quote their own amp as the 'one' (including me).

We have had some good 'religious discussions' here so dont be suprised if someone jumps in with agnostic or atheistic views.

Gospel as I see it is the forerunner to soul and funk stuff but can include worship stuff or anything done by 'Christians'.

I use a Trace Elliot V4 head with a Hartke 4x10 for a 400 seater church most Sundays. This is for services and music is varied.

If you want to play 'real' gospel then look for anything with a clean 'fat' sound when you play through it. Play Oh Happy Day a couple of times and see what you think :)

Finally my gear advice tends to be this

Look around and try stuff within your budget, make a shortlist and come back here for reliabilityand customer care type issues cos ppl who own the stuff will be far more blunt than makers dealers and journos (apologies to makers dealers and journo's).

happy hunting

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    One way to narrow down the massive list of suggestions will certainly be to mention what your budget is, what other instruments will be playing with you, and the size of the venue.

4. sams

sams

Mar 20, 2001
    East Orange, NJ
    My budget for this amp is between $700-$950. I just want to have my own bass head amp so wherever I go I can plug it up and know that I will have the sound I like and want. Since I am in gospel, I guess I am looking for a rich, deep sound. I just purchased some dr-hibeams for my bass cause I like to pop too. Help anyone??

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    In that price range I like Carvin's Cyclops or Redeye Combos. I like the Redeye better for it's portability. If all you want is a head, you can get the R600 head on ebay for around $300. (new $570) The R1000 is $650 new.

Check out http://www.carvin.com for details on those amps.

In your price range you can get quite a variety of brands. I like Carvin myself, but read the threads on the SWR, Eden, Ampeg and Fender amps. If the size of your venue is going to change from time to time you should shoot for a higher wattage amp to give you plenty of clean headroom.

6. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    if you don't mind getting used equipment, your budget can go a long way. for exampple; browsing through www.recycler.com, i came across an Eden WT-800 for $700, an Eden Metro for $895[?], a Carvin R1000 [don't know what series] for $300 & an Acme Low-B Series 2 for $250. these are in L.A. though. I was considering the Carvin R1000 + the Acme but my refund hasn't come yet.