Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b0nes83, Dec 15, 2000.

1. b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    I have been wanting to buy a new or used amp for a year now. I have a Fender BXR 300 right now. but i dont like the sound it puts out. I am looking for an amp pricerange of $650 and lower. If anyone has any info on a place around Albany New York or some opinions on nice amps..please write back. also should i get a Combo amp or a cabinet with a head....looking for a Wattage of 300 and up. thanks
  2. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    Hey man, one of the best deals you can get right now is a PEAVEY Firebass 700 amp head. This thing can put out some serious tone and has enough power to cut through an arena (700 watts at 2 ohms!!!!). The preamp on this isn't extremely versatile, but it what controls it does have do an amazing job of switching up the sound. A guy in my band has one of these and it sounds awesome!!! And for $450 brand new, you can't go wrong. My opinion is get yerself one of these, and find a good cab for the extra $200 you have to spend. Make sure and get some speakers that have a good range. You should at least beable to go from 45 hz to 5,000 or 7,000 hz. And if you're playing a five string with a low B you should try to get something that will go down to 35 or even 30 hz. This makes a huge difference in the bottom end sound. My suggestion is get a couple GOOD 12" or 10" drivers that will handle the higher end (500 hz to 10,000 hz or so), and grab a nice 15" or 18" subfor the real low end (30 hz to 1000 hz or so. ) IF you get real lucky you can find a good deal on a cab like I did (just bought two 15" drivers with two super tweeters... the box will handle 20 hz to 30,000 hz.... that's more than the human ear can handle both ways!!! That means some sound that you can't hear, you just feel it :).
    Anyways, whatever you decide to go with, Good luck and get something that YOU like!! :)
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    That's a tough one, that's for sure...
    No matter how good the amp is, if the cab's not, you'll end up sounding like s**t anyway.