1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fourstringsonly, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

Jan 24, 2013
    Spoke to a bassist I havent seen in years last night. He is very well known on Long Island NY,one of the better players. When I finally got around to asking him what amp he was playing through,I got surprised. A Mark IV Peavey..Sunn Cabinet,,all this old school stuff. I would have thought that there would be better sounding stuff than old Peavey heads. He said he feels it`s as good as anything else made today..at least for that old classic Zeppelin,Fender Jazz sound. When I mentioned amps like Acoustic Image,he said he found the sound "STERILE"... So now I am even more confused.

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    i think you may be confused about what his goals are. the new stuff is great. that old stuff is just as great, especially that peavey stuff. built like fortresses--- but that's exactly it. the old stuff if also heavy or bulky, usually both. the new stuff isn't exactly "better". it's just smaller and lighter. plus all this is just generalizing. is there new stuff that's big and heavy? ya. is there old stuff that's small and light....well, no, but new doesn't always = better. plus he's doing covers from 30+ years ago, that older gear makes sense.

and his opinions could actually be different than other peoples, too. ;)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    He sounds way smarter than any of us who buy new stuff on a regular basis ;)

And he's right...it's probably quite a good rig for that kind of stuff. I can think of rigs I like better, both old and new, but it's quality stuff for its day. The Mark IV turned out to be a sleeper and was a real turning point for Peavey IMHO for being taken seriously as a manufacturer of bass gear.

4. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

Jan 24, 2013
    Just curious,,what rigs do you like better?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The usual suspects...Ampeg, Hartke, Aguilar, Mesa, Genz Benz, maybe some old Sunn or Hiwatt stuff...

6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Sounds like a solid rig to me.

I'm using a 30 year old head on a 40 year old cab, myself. "Better" in some ways is subjective. If his rig gets him the tone he's after, then it is a good rig for him. I can definitely see it working well for a Zeppelin type sound.

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Only problem anyone could really have with that rig is it's heavy.

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I played a Peavey Mark IV (1988 model) for a few years and thought it was great. Bigger and heavier than my micro, of course, but sounded good, IMO.

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Sounds like the guy is more interested in actually playing and making a few bucks than looking at specs and weighing his gear.

Imagine that!

10. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Never played a Peavey head, but have played a few Peavey combos (guitar and bass) and they are very useful amps. Never played a Sunn cabinet, but that will definitely be on my Craigslist watch list I think.

11. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    It does seem like a lot of folks around here overthink things.

12. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    thank you

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my friend's old peavey and sunn rig sounds sweet too, unfortunately the only place i could have found and tried that stuff would have been a shady pawn shop on sunset, so i went with a little hipper stuff

14. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Hmmm... Must not be a typical TB member then. :D

Interestingly enough I speak with decidedly non "pawn shop types" on an almost daily basis about trading/buying/selling/restoring correct vintage Sunn gear. People with rather eclectic tastes in a broad spectrum of interests who find the old rigs quite “hip” indeed.

15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'm almost 40 and i've already gotten rid of the sunn, gibson, sears, and vox gear that would have made me a bunch of cash today

the mesa d180 is about as hip as i can afford right now with grown up responsibilities