ampage buying

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Sep 11, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    I am looking for a bass amp, and am confused, i have been playing for 6 months and am looking for a bass amp which displays value for money, and is cheap. what is a combo and what is a power mp? Also what make displays good value. please help!!!
  2. i don't know what a mp is but a combo amp is just like it sounds, the amp and speaker are built into one cabinet

you really have to think what you are going to be doing with the amp before you spend the money.
    i personally play a swr workingman 15 and its great for me because it has enough power for gigs, and yet doesn't get me kicked out of my apartment when i practice, plus it sounds sweet

i figure if i end up playing the fleet center in boston my sponsers will be buying me a bigger amp anyways
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Peavey are very good value for money but a lot of people dont like them. Trace Elliot Commando series, Hartke Kickback and SWR Workingmans are all entry level lines from major bass amp makers, they are all different in contruction eq etc and all have detractors/worshippers. Go to a big shop and try a load of 100-200w combos and make a note of the ones you like and post here for long term opinions on reliability etc,

Happy hunting.
  4. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    The above, plus:

A combo amplifier is one that combines all of the parts of the chain: a pre-amp, a power-amp, and a speaker.

Some people prefer to use seperate components for each of these, which makes it easy to swap out and trade around components to get the job done. For example, a person might own an SWR Silverado combo or they might own a SWR Interstellar Overdrive pre-amp, a Mackie 1400i power amp, and a Eden 118XLT 18" speaker cabinent. Overall, the seperates way has more flexibility and generally (though not always) more power. The combo is more compact and portable.

Here's a few sites that have both combos and seperate components: (I hope that's correct)

I don't know the URL for it, but BassPlayer did a very nice piece on bass amps and combos vs. stacks. Try searching their website for it (I think it's under something like "Articles" or whatnot): (Again, I hopes that's the correct URL).

Hope that helped out somewhat.