1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amped 810E SLM - Help with the dark cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mlove, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    I own on the loathed sim dark 810 cabs.
    I am exploring replacing some of the speakers to brighten it up.
    Anyone have some suggestions?

2. Cut the bass a bit , push the mids and treble a bit and if you're using a classic SVT head , don't push any buttons. I own 3 of these cabs and have never had any issues with them. If it's that big a deal to you , sell it and buy a Heratage.

3. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    i run my svt pretty flat. no ultra switches engaged.
    Sometimes i boost or cut a little depending on taste but still I'd rather have a more neutral cab.
    Not that I am disappointed with it but I'd like 2 or 4 brighter speakers. options while recording would be nice.

If I buy more gear right now I'll be divorced.

4. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Just put 2 Jensen mod10-50 32 ohm drivers in the top end you'll be set.

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Note that kringle77 said a pair of Jensen's. Steps have to be taken in pairs.

People like the boost that the mod10-50 32 ohm provides. On sale here for $42.45: Search | Antique Electronic Supply.

Other speakers that people use are the Eminence Legend B810 and the speaker that Ampeg currently uses: Official Speaker Repair Site - Orange County Speaker - Home of GLS Audio 10" Ampeg SVT Speaker 86-032-01 32 Ω.

Loud also sells the custom Eminence 10" that they use in the Heritage 810 cabs. It can be bought directly from them but they are a bit expensive.

sjrash likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you can take the power hit that the Mods give you, they're a good choice (at least that's what those who have done it tell me). But it does cut your power handling down from 800w to about 250w, and it's still going to be woofy on the low end. I have not heard the Legend B810 in person, but I've heard direct comparos with modern 810e's and the modern 810e sounds so much better. But to add some brightness back, they would probably do that. I don't know how they'd sound together with the stockers, though. Overall, the "Sell it and buy a Heritage" option as mentioned by Sharkbait is your best option :D

BTW, he's right that you can EQ the brightness back into them. I don't think they sound as good as a non-dark cab when you do that, but it's an option that's free.