1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amped BA108 vs Fender Rumble 30 vs ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Sep 26, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Hey guys,

So I keep my big rig at my jamspace and would like a small amp for jamming at home. I bought an Ampeg BA108 an I liked the tone an features but started getting a weird buzz/rattle from the speaker. Took it in for repair but I have been doing some reading and understand this may be a common problem. I am thinking about trying to exchange the Ampeg (or sell it if need be) for something with a 10" speaker and saw the Fender Rumble 30. Seemed to fit the bill and sounded good in the store. Not quite as nice as the ampeg but close enough for a practice amp. I'd rather sacrifice a bit of tone to have a rattle/hum/buzz free performance.

Anyways, anyone have any thoughts on the rumble 30? Any other recommendations for something under 200 bucks? The brands I can easily get around here are ampeg, traynor, fender, peavey, hartke, Marshall, orange, and gallien Krueger.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I dunno, the Ampeg is a much better bass, but people do so love Fender basses.

3. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    I have owned both. Sold the Fender. The BA108 sounded better. However, they are both practice amps and will not produce the sound/presence that a more powerful amp with larger speakers provides. They are mainly useful for exercising your fingers to maintain your skills when you are not gigging. Also, it does not sonically offend your neighbors or spouse.

4. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Totally understand the limitations, I just would like something that will put out a decent low end (better than a guitar amp that I was using to practice) and won't be a rattle or hiss trap. Ampeg has let me down so far, hopefully it can be fixed as I did like the sound for a practice rig.

5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have two old Peavey Minx ... one sealed and one ported ... bullet proof, always available online .. often under $100 to your door

EatS1stBassist likes this.