1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 115HPT problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluesbass99, Aug 4, 2012.

1. bluesbass99

bluesbass99

Jun 14, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I had a gig that required carrying equipment up a two-stories of stairs and opted to leave my regular gear at home and go with my Ampeg 115HPT (which was no piece of cake getting up those stairs, either). I've only used the 115 to practice at home and have never used it on a gig. I turned it on and it worked as normal. I cranked up the volume a little and it did fine. After about 10 minutes the volume started decreasing (very slowly at first) to where the bass guitar was barely audible. Luckily, I was able to DI to the FOH and everything was fine for the gig.

Has anyone had any similar experiences, or may know what has happened? Thanks in advance.

2. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I played a benefit a few weeks ago and this amp was supplied for the bands and I could not wait for our set to be over, this thing was nasty, we are talking a 150 person little bar gig and trying to crank this amp up to even hear it was not easy, it would loose all of its bass and just fart mid range...I did not like it at all!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You might need to clean the effects loop jacks. Sometimes they get corroded if they're not being used. Use contact cleaner or shove a plug in and out of them several times quickly if you don't have contact cleaner. If it works, get some and clean them the right way. If that doesn't work, swap out the tube with a known good 12au7 and see what happens. If that doesn't work, tech time. That's a solid little amp usually but can't say the same about tubes.