Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 15" combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cornbread, Aug 19, 2000.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I've read good reviews here and elsewhere for the Ampeg B100R, and I've also heard good things about the BA115. What is the sound difference between the two? I haven't seen the B100R at any stores around here, so I can't compare. I know the 115 has more features, but does it sound the same as the more expensive combo? Also, I've read that the B100R is deceptively loud, but is the BA115 equally powerful? Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. gumby7

gumby7

Feb 15, 2000
    hey cornbread,
    i've played both and i thought the sound of the BA115 was wayy better. well i liked the sound of the b100r but it wasnt what i was looking for. if i wanted an old really bassy sound i would've have liked that one. but the BA115 could really push some air. i was playing it at about half volume and shaking a snare drum from across the store. the low end didnt start falling apart at high volumes either. it stayed nice and tight. well hope this helps.

3. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I've played the ba115 in the store, and it kicked some ass. I played my 5-string into it, and it could get lots of sounds out of it. Even the cliche Korn sound with just a turn of the "style knob". If you want enough power for gigs bigger than coffee shops, though, I recommend getting the b-2 combo. It has an extension speaker out, with 350 watts rms at 4 ohms.

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I compared the two and many others.I bought the BA-115.Theyre both nice but i like the sounds of the BA better.In fact you can get very close to the sound of the other by setting the style switch on 4/5.After all theyre both Ampeg combos with 15" speakers and 100 watts so its not that long a journey.Though the BA looks nice also i do like the look of the BR better.On the other hand the BA also has the tilt back design which is nice.As far as volume goes i couldnt tell any difference.Both sound louder than comparably powered units from other mfgs.Good luck!

5. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    Both the B-100R and the BA-115 are very good combos that give more performance than competitors' 100 watt amps. The BA-115 has a few more features and the B-100R has better looks. Since I like the thick, deep sounds of a P with flatwound strings, the B-100R was perfect for me. If you're more into modern tone, the BA-115 is probably the way to go.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I bought a B-100R. While I think it has an excellent, smooth top end, I haven't tried to get extra crispy Korn style on it ( and I probably never will).

How many who chose the BA actually turned the B-100R up. How many had the ports clear? Just curious. I'm not saying you made the wrong choice, I've just seen several people noodling with the B-100Rs at low volume and thinking that's what it sounds like.

7. I have a B-100R, which I've been using for over 18 months. I tested both the B-100R and BA-115. Both really nice amps. The B-100R can get a much smoother, deeper sounding thump than the BA-115. The BA-115 is more like some of the modern sounding amps that a lot of people like. The B-100R makes you play with the EQ more to get various sounds, but consequently gives you more options if you learn to play with it. It has four EQ pot adjustments and three switches. The BA-115 has three EQ pots, and a 5-way Style (EQ) switch.

Four my nickle, the B-100R is the more versatile of the two. The BA-115 would be a little faster, and easier, to set different tones. However, once you learned where to get what you want from the B-100R, you wouldn't have any problem. They are both equally loud.

For the difference in the money, I went for the B-100R and the ability to get a sound close to an old B-15N as well as some of the modern sounds.

My $.02.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Same here, Sammy.

9. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I can't wait to try out both of the amps and compare them myself, but it's hard to find the B100R around here. I do like the low thump that people have mentioned, and I don't play slap stuff (or really modern stuff for that matter). I've read about the 100's "vintage" tone, so I thought that people may have been tricked into thinking it has a vintage tone because of it's vintage look. But, it seems there are noticeable differences between the amps.
    Enough talk, I'm itchin' to hear the darn things!

Thanks
    Dave

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    MARS and Guitar Center carry both of them.

11. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I have the Ampeg BA-112 and would highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't need a whole lot of power. It's a great practice amp, but can still fill a room very nicely.