1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 1X15 combo vs. Gk Neo 115-III and MB500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BJBBJB, Apr 22, 2017.

1. BJBBJB

BJBBJB

Apr 22, 2017
    I am a long-time electric guitarist and gearhead but don't know anything about bass gear except what I have learned from research material, a lot of it here.

Looking at a 1X15 cabinet and separate head. Some day a 1X15 or 4x10 may get added to it but for now, it will be played at gigs as a 1x15 so that is how I am looking at it. Some miked, some not.

I think we have narrowed it down to the ampeg PF-500 head and PF-115 HE cab or the GK Neo 115-III with the MB500. Looking at MB vs. RB purely from a weight standpoint as they seem close in performance. I know there are fans of both Ampeg and GK and there are tone nuances between the two, but my question is more general. It is for rock and would be used by an accomplished bassist.

Demoed the Ampeg and the general comment was it seemed like it did not cut through the electric and the rest of the mix. Can't demo the GK but could order with return privileges.

I know you can't always believe specs but does the GK really go down to lower freq, than the Ampeg? I understand harmonics matter a lot too but curious. Also will the GK rig play deeper and "bigger" than the Ampeg? That is the main question.

If going GK, is there a big difference between the CX and Neo cabinet other than the bi-amp which won't be used with the MB if I have that right? I don't care about the minor difference in weight or size. Want big sound.

With the CX, cost of the GK rig is about same as Ampeg. I would consider a used amp but I've never liked buying used cabinets.

Finally if adding a second cabinet down the line, will both amps (the ampeg PF-500 and MB500) perform similarly driving 2 cabs? I would stay within each brand.

Thanks for any thoughts! Some great info here!

BJBBJB

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. 1. Second cab should match the first. There are a lot if caveats in mixing cabs with different driver configurations.
    Match a 15 with a 15, or a 2x10 with a 2x10 and so on.

2. Trying to excentuate the low end is the wrong way to go to cut through.
    All power ends up driving frequencies that are hard to hear.
    You really want to boost the harmonics rather than the fundamentals.
    It seems counter-intuitive, but that's how it works.

3. Not that you asked, but related to bass cabs.... size of the driver is not the sole contributing factor to low end reproduction. Cab design is more important than the driver diameter. You may want to consider cabs with 10's or 12's rather than 15s. The way you set up your EQ can have an equally dramatic affect as well.

Go somewhere and try some cabs to compare, say a 15 to to a 2x10 or a 2x12.

4. Staying within brands is fine if you like how the first one sounds.
    IMO matching impedance (Ohms), SPL and driver configuration is more important.
    It is possible that two different brands might give you a sound you like.
    It could also suck. Again, you should try out these combinations at a store if possible.
    No one else can tell you what you will like.

3. BJBBJB

BJBBJB

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks for the quick response and knowledge!

Regarding driver size I should have mentioned that cabinet portability is a factor at this point so I can't compare the 1X15 solution to some of the multi driver cabs as some are too big. Although perhaps a 2x10 or 2x12 might be an option depending.

Totally get the tone comment just looking for general guidance. I wish local stores had more gear to try for sure...

Regardess of driver configuration need to decide on a head and CX vs. Neo for GK.

Thanks again,
    BJBBJB

4. For sure on the lack of equipment. That's just economics at work though.

Hang in for a bit... there has to be someone around who has compared the CX with the Neo.
    You probably won't be disappointed either way though. You're in a good place man.

I think a 1x15 cab, in general, needs to be larger. Not because it's physically holding a 15, but because the fifteen may need more cube-ft of volume to Max the potential. There are a lot of light weight 2x10s floating around these days. Well not actually floating, but by comparison.... you know, pretty easy to schlep around.

5. BJBBJB

BJBBJB

Apr 22, 2017
    I think I got to even a better place. Friend says he has a 700RB-II I can get for a good price. So if I go GK I just need to choose the cab.
    BJBBJB