1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 1x15s W/Trace Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Jun 22, 2014.

1. I love stacked 15s, well most of the time I've had them anyway. They're all different, but I've had a single Ampeg SVT-15E, and tho' it wasn't the new modern big-blooming dynamo, it was a solid sound and sounded like rock n' roll. I'm wondering if I'm barking up the right tree here to think that a 2x stack will push through the wall like a proper big rig should?

It's either that or a Mesa Boogie Diesel 410, and I have reasons to think I ought maybe avoid the weight of that Venerable DeLuxe "ACME" Cartoon Anvil of Sound...

Plus the stack will be closer to my ear, and the amp head (AH350SMX) will be closer to my eyes! I have a mild case of osteo-arthritis I've just discovered, after spraining my back taking an air conditioner out of a wall. weight is, I guess, an issue.

So, what's the conventional thinking about these Ampegs? Appreciate your time...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If one is working for you then two in a stack will work twice as well ;) Definitely not the lightest cabs on the market, but any time you double up on the same cab you get the same sound but much more pleasing, as bigger is always better for bass, and two speakers always sound better than one.

3. Sounds pretty solid advice I think Jimmy.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have one of those Ampeg 15's and I love the tone with my SB300.

5. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    The older US made OSB Ampegs are heavy but the current Asian Ampegs are definitely managble. There are lighter options, still, but maybe not with that TONE...

6. I had that same Trace amp for years....and for a while I used the 215 mesa cab, and I loved it.
    always got compliments on the sound.
    go for it!

7. Something swooped in and made off with my funds, gotta wait now. :sour: But I'm still after it! 'Till then I've got my trusty 1x18 cab, which is cool and interesting, so I'm good... but I'll be back! ;)

The Trace head makes good use of this old 18 here. It's a JBL E-155 in a Bag End cab- wrong box, but as I say, it's interesting! Still gives up what I put through it, in its novel way.