Ampeg 2 SVT 410HLF VS SVT 810 E

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by takeasoriginal, Feb 19, 2006.

1. I really want to get a SVT 810E ,but because of the size is too big to carry around, I am thinking about geting 2 SVT 410 HLF, which sounds better? plz give me advise, or other brand is fine too, plz help.
  2. punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    In essence the 8x10 is really just two cabs stacked on top of each other, but some people think that there is a huge difference..... I also faced this problem.... My remedy was that i bought the 8x10 and one 4x10 for practices... Cause when you have shows and you really need the power of the refrigerator there are most likely at LEAST 4 people willing to help you take it out of your car... Plus two 4x10s is 200 bones more than the 8x10 unless you have a line on some used cabs.... I say 8x10 Good luck
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

If you like the tone of the Ampeg 8x10 but hate the size/weight, most say go for a Bergantino NV610. It's much smaller in size and weight and most that have switch from the Ampeg to the Berg claim it's just as loud but has even better tone (sounds like the Ampeg but even better w more range, etc). I just ordered the Berg myself because I was in the same boat as you...
  4. Whoopysnorp

Feb 5, 2006
    Man, two SVT410HLFs would be LOUD. That wouldn't really be comparable to an 810 because that is a sealed cab and the HLFs are ported. A pair of 410HEs would be more like it. I saw a band play using an SVT-II and a pair of 410HEs and the bass sounded huge and great, just like it should. Or maybe it was a 410 and a 115...anyway, the 410HLF is a great cab but I wouldn't get two of them, especially if size and weight is your concern. They're 4 ohms, anyway, so your amp would have to go down to 2 ohms if you wanted to use them. A pair of 410HEs would be a more manageable 4 ohms.
  5. I think that to get the same sound as the fridge you would get 2 x SVT 410HE, not the HFL's?
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Why would you carry an 810E? It has wheels.

It's maybe easier to move than two 410HLFs.

a) You only make one trip for the cab.
    b) You can tilt it onto your vehicle (assuming that you have a ute or a truck, and you should if you wanted two 410s). You have to pick up a 410 from the ground.
    c) You can pull it up and slide it down the stairs.

Just from looking around IMO, Eden, SWR and Nemesis make the easiest to move 810s. They put handles everywhere.
  7. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH

8. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I think that two HLFs would be way too muddy. I can't believe the lows that come out of one of these, I can't imagine two of them. I'd think that a setup like that would be great if you're into reggae, or any other sub-bass tone, but who knows?

I would imagine that bassplayer had a 410 and a 115, as the 410HE by itself doesn't have that much bass "oomph."

IIRC, the 410HE and 115 are sealed cabs, so the pair of them should have some of the same midrange punch of the 810, plus the added depth of the 15". If you're into ease of portability, I'd get these two. The "fridge" certainly does look kick-butt, though...
  9. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    An 810E is easier to move than a lot of people think. It has wheels and a towel bar with a rear kick plate so you can tilt it back and roll it. 2 guys can lift it if you need to lift it, it actually fits in the back seat of most cars, and it has skid rails to help you slide it up onto a stage. When we play gigs we have a whole crew of friends that help move gear, so the 810E is not really much of a problem. The sound is totally worth it for me.
  10. I heard a guy play through two 410HLF's with either an Ampeg SVT-4pro or 2-pro. I didn't get close enough to see which amp it was. All I can say was that his tone didn't cut through at all, but the whole room was vibrating like crazy. It was quite annoying actually. My head was shaking, but I really couldn't hear him. Could have been his EQ settings though.

+1 for the Bergantino NV610!
  11. Whoopysnorp

Feb 5, 2006
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. I like the sound of my HLF by itself, but two of those would probably wind up muddy as all hell. It'd probably sound good paired with a sealed 4x10 but most sealed 4x10s are not 4 ohms, and matching an 8 ohm and 4 ohm cab could be problematic.
  12. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    The HLF is TERRIBLE for stairs because it is so low. An 810 would be a much easier load in my experience. I gotta say, I really came to dislike the HLF. For me it was extremely muddy, and my new avatar stack is a real improvement. I think the the 810 would also give you more clarity in a band context.
  13. ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005

Well, I own the SVT410hlf now, sold my 810e and when I had them side by side, the 410hlf was Clearer, cleaner, and has more low end. Easy choice, IMHO.
  14. BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I bought a 40HLF and returned it for a 810E. The 410HLF was too muddy and unclear. The 810E sound way better to me and it is easier to move. Even thou the 810 is heavier, it is a lot taller and easier to move around.
    I prefer the sound of sealed enclosures. This has been my observation with amp cabs and home theater subwoofers.
  15. jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    I had the same issues with the HLF as everyone else. Ohm issues if I stacked two, 810 sounding better, and easier to move.
  16. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I've never tried to move an 8X10, but the 4X10HLF is hard as hell to move because it's too short for most averge height people. I would guess the 8X10 is much easier to move (except for stairs, and you work out who's going to help you before you agree to do the gig).

17. I moved & played both the 410hlf and 810e yesterday (using a SVT-CL). They are both difficult to move on a routine basis. If I had to move one or the other for a living, I'd opt for the 410.

SoundTonewise, I was surprised how much I preferred the 410hlf. I didn't find it boomy, I found it ballsier/deeper and the 810 a bit thinner by comparison. Both are great cabs - I'd like both but regardless of size & portability, I'd go 410hlf. Funny, I thought I'd like the 810e better. I may just need one of these hlf's - not muddy @ all.

Fwiw, I used a SingRay 4HH and mia p-bass.