Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 210HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmjbassplayer, Mar 25, 2005.

1. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Hi all,

Cool forum you've got here! I need some advice on a smaller rig I'm putting together for clubs/rehearsals. Does anyone have any experience with the Ampeg SVT210HE? I've heard they have a great tonal character, but only handle 200 watts at 8ohms. Should I just upgrade the speakers in that Ampeg 210, or maybe go for something else like an Aguilar 210 or an Avatar 210? Just FYI: I really dislike a glassy, hi-fi tone and brittle highs. I need something that rocks, even if it's a compromise with frequency response.

Any tips or opinions would be a great help.
    Best,
    JMJ

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Maybe you should think about Aguilar 112's or Avatar 112's :)

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just sold my SVT210HE 2 days ago, and had it for about two years. Only reason I sold it was that I'm down-sizing the rig (also sold the 8-ohm Goliath I 410 that I paired it with), and I now use a single, 4-ohm Epi 210.

That said, I really liked the SVT210HE. The day I bought it, I drove to the store with the express intention of picking up an Aguilar 210 they had in stock. While there, I took the oppty to run my amp (Kern + PLX2402) through other 210s as well, incl the SVT210HE and an EA 210 (don't recall which one)...and I walked out of there with the SVT210HE. Just sounded deeper, bigger, fuller...all good things in my book. And it was lighter + smaller to boot.

Couple things: mine (like newer ones are) was rated at 250W RMS / 500W Program (said so on the back, anyway), and had two Speakons in addition to the two 1/4"...I think this model is technically called the SVT210HEN, with N denoting the Neutriks. For some reason, Ampeg's website sez they're rated a 200W RMS/400W Program, but I think this is out-dated. In any case, I ran one side of a PLX2402 through it (425W, IIRC) and have also run a Thunderfunk and Bass 400+ through it, all with no problem... handles the low B just fine, and gets a very cool Ampeg sound (I like it, anyway). Based on what you're lookin' for, I think you'd like the Ampeg.

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Great help, thanks. Good info, Greg! I'm going to order an Ampeg 210...in this case, tonal character is kind and power handling is truly secondary.
    JMJ