Ampeg 210HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmjbassplayer, Mar 25, 2005.

1. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Hi all,

Cool forum you've got here! I need some advice on a smaller rig I'm putting together for clubs/rehearsals. Does anyone have any experience with the Ampeg SVT210HE? I've heard they have a great tonal character, but only handle 200 watts at 8ohms. Should I just upgrade the speakers in that Ampeg 210, or maybe go for something else like an Aguilar 210 or an Avatar 210? Just FYI: I really dislike a glassy, hi-fi tone and brittle highs. I need something that rocks, even if it's a compromise with frequency response.

Any tips or opinions would be a great help.
  2. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Maybe you should think about Aguilar 112's or Avatar 112's :)
  3. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just sold my SVT210HE 2 days ago, and had it for about two years. Only reason I sold it was that I'm down-sizing the rig (also sold the 8-ohm Goliath I 410 that I paired it with), and I now use a single, 4-ohm Epi 210.

That said, I really liked the SVT210HE. The day I bought it, I drove to the store with the express intention of picking up an Aguilar 210 they had in stock. While there, I took the oppty to run my amp (Kern + PLX2402) through other 210s as well, incl the SVT210HE and an EA 210 (don't recall which one)...and I walked out of there with the SVT210HE. Just sounded deeper, bigger, fuller...all good things in my book. And it was lighter + smaller to boot.

Couple things: mine (like newer ones are) was rated at 250W RMS / 500W Program (said so on the back, anyway), and had two Speakons in addition to the two 1/4"...I think this model is technically called the SVT210HEN, with N denoting the Neutriks. For some reason, Ampeg's website sez they're rated a 200W RMS/400W Program, but I think this is out-dated. In any case, I ran one side of a PLX2402 through it (425W, IIRC) and have also run a Thunderfunk and Bass 400+ through it, all with no problem... handles the low B just fine, and gets a very cool Ampeg sound (I like it, anyway). Based on what you're lookin' for, I think you'd like the Ampeg.
  4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Great help, thanks. Good info, Greg! I'm going to order an Ampeg this case, tonal character is kind and power handling is truly secondary.