Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 210SP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, May 20, 2004.

1. hey all

i decided on getting an Ampeg 210... now 1 thing: is it worth the extra money to get the SP (with effects)? do the effects in it have good sound quality?

-thx

2. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I have the BA210 and like it a lot. I read a review saying the DSP loses a little warmth, but you should A/B them yourself.

I think for me I wouldn't care about effects on an amp so much. Better to buy them once as pedals and then they stay with every amp you own.

3. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    Great amp, had mine for 6mo., anyways, it is plently loud for any situation, enough stage volume to play anywhere. The xlr out is clean. As for the effects, I never use them, and wish I bought the one without them. The effects are okay, nothing to write home about. No compression effect, which sucks, and the synth effects are absolutly terrible, but the other 12 or so are cool.

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I don't think so, I can't hear any tonal differance, but in general the effects arent customizable enough really. If you really want an effect I think an outboard processor is the way to go.

5. Ive played with both and personally I'd buy the one without and use individual pedals. I only use Chorus, occasional Flange, and a Wah pedal though...so all the Synth stuff and Octaver stuff didnt cater to my sound to begin with. Plus I figure if an effect malfunctions in the amp...the whole amp goes to repair, if a pedal stops working, straight to the dumpster and get a new one, eh?

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    IMO always go for the best tone. you can always add effects. a great tone will be the foundation that you will always fall back on when you get tired or bored with effects.

7. very very true... thx