Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg 215 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nelsonwires, Jul 22, 2005.

1. I'm trying to figure out what cab I have!!! I got an Ampeg v4 from the late 70's a few months ago for free with nothing wrong except a few shot tubes. I replaced the tubes and caps and it sounds amazing. It's in beautiful shape, but the cabinet is a different story. It's a 215 and it came with the v4 head originally, but I cannot find online anywhere what it is. It has the 70's grill and the head was a '77 model so I'm sure that's the year of the cabinet because I acquired it from the original owner. How many 215 cabs did ampeg make? What do I have?

I can post pictures if you want, but the plate on the back with the model number is totally worn off.

Thanks

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The V4B cabinet that I'm most familiar with is a 2x15 folded horn. It did have a full face grille in the original issue. IIRC the original speakers were Altecs but I've seen several that had EVs in them...

The other 2x15 of the time was the B25B, a ported 2x15 with a 4 ohm/16 ohm switch on back.

Ampeg made a huge 4x12, the V2 but I think that was a guitar cabinet only...and of course the 8x10 that we all know (and most) love.