1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 2x12 AV good match with SVT CL head??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nhoj, Nov 21, 2018.

1. nhoj

nhoj

Nov 21, 2018
    Ontario
    Hello fellow bass heads,
    I am a first time poster and I'm really happy to be part of the club.
    I have a pf800 matched with a pf410 and I really dig the sound but it gets a little farty when I start getting loud. I also have a SVT CL head but don't have a cab for it yet. Is the 2x12 AV a good match? will it handle my active 5 string bass? Is the head too powerful? Anybody own the 2x12 and can help me out??
    Thanks yall.

BOOG likes this.
  2. haystack55

haystack55 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Houston, TX
    As far as wattage and ohmage you should be fine. It's ported, so you'll get some good low end response, although not quite as much as you might get with say an HLF cabinet. Live, I play an SVT-II (which is essentially the same as an SVT-CL) through a ported Emperor 2x12 that's only rated at 350 watts and I've got way more headroom than I need. Different animal, the Emperor, but two twelves is really a sweet spot for my SVT.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Farty when getting loud? Well of course! It's a 410 powered with an 800w amp!

The 212av IS a good match with the SVT, but it's also going to get farty when it gets real loud. Neither are big cabs. They take a good pounding but they do have their limitations, as do all similar cabs.

Zbysek and 10cc like this.
  4. nhoj

nhoj

Nov 21, 2018
    Ontario
    Thanks for the response guys. I have been visiting this site for bass info for years but only signed up earlier today. JimmyM I have read so many of your posts and now you have replied to one of mine! What do you suggest, the 2x12 or keep the portaflex rig? I know the ball is in my court but I would love to hear your opinion.

JimmyM likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well I haven't played the PF410hlf, so I really don't know how to answer that. Generally though, a 410 has more output than a 212.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I really liked my pair of 112AV cabs with my SVT. They're ported as mentioned but the tuning is much higher than most cabs, it rolls off much earlier. With a solid state head (sometimes used them with a PF-500) they never felt right in the low mids/lows but with a tube head they were perfect, the low end was full and controlled without getting boomy.

Gear pron picture opportunity:

RvX6ezv.

ELG60, jeff7bass, 10cc and 3 others like this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I miss the SVT-DI my friend let me try out.

Zbysek and coreyfyfe like this.
  8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    2x12 or 410 will only get to so much SPL or loudness before farting out.

More effective system be compare 2 of those cabs. So a 412 or 410

All in all same power handling but the 412 would be more efficient or louder before it farted out. Possibly giving you that extra oomph you need before fartout.

9. bassmutz

bassmutz

Aug 28, 2015
    I play my SVT CL Heritage with the 212AV in an ACDC Tribute Band and it Is great and loud enough for most clubs.
    The 212 AV sounds good and handles the power of the SVT very well.
    It‘s quiet near to the sound with my 810 Heritage. The 810 is the best combination and very powerfull...

jeff7bass, 10cc and JimmyM like this.
  10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I really like it, but mostly use it for recording now. I’ve started using another head with an OT line out into a DI for most of my live stuff.

JimmyM likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    "Another head," huh? If it was the PF-50T or 20T, you'd mention the name. I don't like the sound of that :D

coreyfyfe likes this.
  12. Backdrop

Backdrop

Feb 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Been using a SVT-CL and a 212AV as my main rig the last couple years. You should be good.
    Don't know if a fiver would make much of a difference. Mainly play four.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  13. nhoj

nhoj

Nov 21, 2018
    Ontario
    Thanks for the wise words from everyone. This made my work day much more entertaining .

mattwear likes this.
  14. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Welcome to TalkBass!
    Good luck with your quest

15. Got nuthin’ helpful to add.
    Just stoppin’ by to say welcome.

16. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

yeah , should be no problems ...
    2016-01-08%2018.19.43_zpsvrvbnrvj.

jeff7bass, 10cc and bassmutz like this.
  17. nhoj

nhoj

Nov 21, 2018
    Ontario
    What a beauty set up

18. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    I’d say it depends. I used my 212av with my SVT-CL at a gig this weekend where the stage volume was very low and it was fine. If you need to crank the volume I don’t think the cab sounds that great. It’s the most colored cab I’ve ever played and it really rolls the lows off. A larger cab like my NV610 is a perfect match for the SVT if you need more volume. It can take everything you can throw at it.

10cc likes this.
  19. Sounds great together--I use this set up all the time.

003--.

rogypop, freedomryder, 10cc and 2 others like this.
  20. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    How does your 4/10 cab sound with the SVT?