Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 2x12"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andreas_bass, Aug 24, 2003.

1. I've heard a little rumour that Ampeg is releasing a 2x12" cab. Anyone knowing more of that? SVT Classic Series? Ohm? Power rating?
    I'm very interested in that cab!!!

Andreas

2. I think maybe you mean the PortaBass 2x12?

3. No, it's a pro one.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    they used to make a SVT 212E or something like that, it was the classic series, and it was a 2x12.

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Here is a link to their new 412 cab. Maybe there is a 212 version too.
    link

6. bojan

bojan

Dec 1, 2006
    I did play one gig using an SVT 212E. Sounded great. The low end was kinda muddy - but in the nice way. You know - what i hear today, especially in the nu-metal, core-metal (whatever) stuff that i do too - the bass tone is loaded with lows and highs and i really miss the nice, warm sounding mids. And I was looking for that sound and on that one night i gigged - i almoust got it :D
    There was warmth, there was softness, but there was also clarity. I just missed a horn - could use some (just a little) more highs. Although i didn't really have the time to work on my ABM500's EQ that night, preatty sure I could had worked something out.
    Anyway - that cab totally rulled. My 4x10 is very unhappy now.

7. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    I hope that Ampeg builds a 212 Classic series cab.
    I'm on the hunt for a 212, preferably 4 ohms to match to my neo-pak.
    So far, the Mesa Vintage Powerhouse has the inside track.
    But I gig with (2) Classic cabs- An SVT-15E and an SVT-48HE
    (4x8 w/ horn). Seperately or together, they're great, under-appreciated and under-rated cabs.
    The 15E with my V4BH IS a B-15 clone; and both cabs used with either my Trace or 3PRO is my bread-and-butter rig.

No doubt that Ampeg uses Eminence drivers. My cabs are SLM, but LOUD continues, even though they may use (*gasp*) Chinese Eminence. I'll leave it to other "experts" to state what the differences may be. Sonically, I've heard the tone of the current Classic cabs, and find nothing different.
    The other "complaints" seem to be regarding issues with the Tolex, and, ummmm "thinner wood" or something.
    I didn't hear it or see it myself, but, I don't wanna go there!:D

My point is that Ampeg cabs did not/do not get the same "props" as some of the other more exotic and expensive cabs, and they should!
    There's another thread that asks what cabs to use for the "Motown" sound....

Hey- I'VE got an idea........:cool:

8. bojan

bojan

Dec 1, 2006
    Anybody can tell what are the differences between svt 212e and powerhouse 212?

9. no-one knows man, the ampeg 212 was very short lived if i remember correctly.

10. Man, I need that 4x12 cab!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like da' bomb!!!!

11. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    they used to make a 2x12 that was like a "PR" series cab also...at least thats what it looks like...I know where there is one for sale here locally in Dallas, along with a similar looking 1x15.