1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 3 Pro VS Mesa Boogie M6 Carbine

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pshep68, Sep 9, 2008.

1. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    HI, I am currently looking at the a Ampeg 3 Pro & a Mesa Boogie M6 Carbine. Has anyone tried both? How do they compare? I've tried the 3 Pro, but not the M6 Carbine. Has any one played that one. Give me your thoughts. Thanks.

2. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    The Mesa is far better. It doesn't have the power suck that the Ampeg 3 Pro does.

3. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I've played both. I think Ampeg is more versitale. Mesa is very aggresive and dry sounding amp, more like a SS than tube head IMO.

4. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I used to own the SVT 3 Pro and I was able to get a nice tone out of it. I didn't really dig the sound of the Carbine I tried out. I much prefer the Walkabout (which I own) and the Mpulse for my sound to either of them. I also have a newly acquired Aguilar DB 750 that I absolutely love.

5. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Both are great, but I'd take the Mesa in a heartbeat. Unless of course you're really into the sound of the Ampeg. However, keep in mind that the Mesa will be quite a bit louder.

6. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    I've heard the Carbine described as aggressive many times. Can anyone describe to be exactly "aggressive " means. Thanks

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Aggressive, to me, means the opposite of warm and smooth. Kinda deep in the lows, but instead of sparkly in the top end, it's more brash. Iow, think hard rock vs. smooth jazz.