Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 350H Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RandallFlagg, Mar 10, 2006.

1. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Hey guys...

My current rig is an SVT5Pro but last night we were playing in a club using their setup (Ampeg 350H and Ampeg 4x10HE and a 2X10HE cabs).

Here's the question:

For the life of me, I couldn't get the thing past say 4 or 5...the limiter light and the peak light kept coming on when a "less than strong" E was hit. I had the gain set on about 3-4 and the master, like I said, on 4 or 5.

I owned a head like this about 5 or 6 years ago and don't recall having this kind of problem. You guys have any ideas as to what (if any) the problem might have been?

I talked to the club owner and told him that I thought something might be "going south" with the amp and told him I would would get back with him....

Oh...let me add that it did this with both my basses (Ric 4003 and a Fender American Deluxe) when the head was in both "active" and "Passive" setup....

2. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    C'mon now...don't everyone jump in at one time!!!;)

3. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    This topic was just talked about like a month ago try searching

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I had 2 B2-R's - same amp as 450H, and they did the same thing. I did not understand either, but I know it's normal so nothing is wrong with the amp. I need to learn this myself, because the limiter is to protect the speakers, and I don't know how the amp knows what the power rating is for the cabinet - it can't know that. I'll read up on this and post again.

Skel

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Only when an "E" was hit? The gain being on 3 or 4 seems a little low for the peak light to be flashing very often, esp with your Ric if you are talking about just general playing, and not just one note, the low E. The limiter LED flashing, according to the manual, means the amp is operating at full power, and it is having to cancel some of the signal going to the speakers because the signal is clipped and distorted. I wonder if the master volume on "5" *is* full power. The only other thing I can think of, is if the power amp receives a clipped signal from the preamp, the limiter kicks in, no matter what the master volume is on. If you try the rig again, what happens if you turn the gain up to about 2, or where ever the peak LED is not constantly flashing, and then see if the limiter LED stops flashing as well. Everything I've used that has LEDs for peak always flash when I don't expect them to, including my Carvin PA head, and my Crown CE4000. How does the amp "sound"?

6. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Oh, I guess the amp sounds OK, but it just struck me as odd that when I would hit the E string, the bottom would literally fall out of it due to the limiter. It's no big deal, per se, but it seemed as though it was some sort of "malfunction"...maybe not.

Next time we play there I'll take my rig...

Thanks guys!