Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 4 Pro Head with what 115 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UrbanIvy, Aug 6, 2004.

1. UrbanIvy

UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    This one's for Ampeg 4 Pro users -
    My current rig is a Warwick N/T through that I put through my Ampeg 4 pro with a Ampeg BXT 410 cab. I am very happy with my rig, but I have a bad, bad bug to start experimenting with gear.

My band plays a lot of intense funk/rock with a mellower bluesy jams as well. I do a lot of slappin and want to keep my current ballsy slap tone, but also want more resolve on the bottom end for the mellower flowing stuff.

I was thinking about adding a 1X15 amp to my setup and wanted to go outside Ampeg. Mesa, Aguilar, SVT, Berg are on my list. What have you tried and what goes best with Ampeg in your experience? Muchas Gracias

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Very rare is it for me to hear about someone besides me using the BXT cabs. :smug:

OBVIOUSLY there's the BXT115 cab... I've got it matched with the BXT410 and its pretty much just the low-end version of the 410. There's the likelyhood that you could find a 15" cab that could give you a more extended range though.

I'm gonna guess that you'd get the best sound out of an Aguilar.... although Mesa's obviously known for being ballsy.

If there's a music store that carries anything you know of, you should give some speakers a try... including the BXT115. I'm honestly happy with the sound I get from the BXT's, even through a mediocre SolidState preamp. I've played almost any style you can name through those speakers.... from Jazz, Funk, and Raggae (Chili Peppers, 311, or Sublime) to Metal, Punk, and heavily distorted Hardcore (Killswitch Engage, Nirvana, or Converge). The BXT's sound much better under cleaner conditions, and do well with slapping... but they pull it all off. I can only image the tone you probably get with the 4Pro. If I were you, I'd just complete the stack.

The only issue I have with my cabs is that they're about 120lbs each. :eek:
    ...... oh yeah........ its a 2-man job :help:

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I got my 4-pro to go with a berg nv610 and its a great match. My biggest surprize was how nice it sounded with the 322. What a great tone!