Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 4 Pro Vs. Ashdown ABM 900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MingusBass, Jul 30, 2005.

1. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    I own an Ampeg 4 pro head and really enjoy the sound but I am really interested in hearing everyones thoughts on the ABM 900 vs. the 4 pro. I play in a variety band that plays blues, rock, jazz, country, funk , and motown so I have a lot of ground to cover. Also know that I'm playing the 4 pro through the new bergantino 2x10 and 1x12 stack. The Ampeg gives me that classic rock sound but I'm kinda digging that british sound.

thanks,
    Andrew

2. well, i can't give you the exact info you're looking for but i did move away from my ampeg svtIII to a ashdown evo II 500 (which i believe is the same amp basically). the ashdown has so much more to offer than that crappy svtIII. i was an ampeg supporter for a long time but the ashdown sound and power just kill. i was so impressed with the ashdown i even dumped my ampeg cabs and picked up two eden cabs. the ampeg svtIII likely isn't a very good comparison to your model of ampeg amp, but the ashdown evo II is so sweet.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Ashdown amps and Bergantino speakers are a match made in heaven. I used to have the ABM500 and sold it as I was moving (to another country). Not sure why I just didn't buy one again when I came back. I've now been through a bunch of amps amd it looks like I'll be ording a new EVO500II this week to go with my Berg 112 stack.

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Good for you! I also might order a new EVO500 II also to use with my 112 BErg Stack. I did another outdoor gig with my bergie 112's and my mesa Walkabout just doesn't have the headroom to drive it at more than moderate volume. It's great indoors, but outdoors, I need more power. And I LOVE the ABM500 EVO Sound. to me it is the ultimate plug and play GREAT sounding amp with Power to spare.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ashdown 500 EVOII on the way! :bassist:

6. Congrats! They're great amps...enjoy :bassist:

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Alright, just got the EVOII 500 today. Man, they really improved on an already impressive amp. To me, this amp is a cross between the old Trace SMX amps (with tube) and Ampeg. It's got the grunt and growl of the Ampeg (if you want it) with more warmth and it has the mids voiced similar to the old Trace amps. Two sounds that I like a lot. I'm very impressed with this amp. It took me an hour to get used to the sound as I've been playing with a squeaky clean sound for a very long time. I really think that I'll continue to like this amp more an more as time goes on. Now that the prices have gone down on the Ashdown amps I think these are up there as the best bang for your buck. And again, I HIGHLY reccomend the Ashdown amps with Bergantino speakers. Whoa mama!!!! :hyper: I'm running mine with Berg 112's. For a more traditional sound the Ashdown with one of the Bergantino NV series cabs is over the top amazing. I got to hear an ABM500 through an NV610 with an old Stingray once that was a very powerfull sound. Not my thing but man was it great.