1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 4 Pro with (2) SWR Goliath III's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afailedescape, Mar 15, 2013.

1. afailedescape

afailedescape

Dec 9, 2008
    I need some help from the best people I know to ask... bass players!! I have an Ampeg 4 Pro and use it with (2) SWR Goliath III's. I've always just used 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cables. Lately, I have been thinking I've been doing it wrong all this time!! I don't feel I have been getting the most out of my amp! I'm wanting more power! I know I need to make the switch to Speakon cables, but I am really unsure what to purchase. Do they have to be Mono Speakon cables? And, do I run a cable from amp A to one cab, and amp B to the other? OR... Do I run a cable from the amp mono out, and then a cable from one cab to the other? I really appreciate all feedback on this! Thanks!

2. Kin_777

Kin_777

Feb 1, 2013
    RUSSIA, Tula
    In the example shown below, the SVT-4 PRO’s two internal power amplifiers will each power a set of full range cabinets.
    Set the Stereo/Mono Bridge switch OUT (Stereo position) and connect the system as follows:1: Connect a speaker cable from the SVT-4 PRO’s Power Amp ASpeaker Output jack to the input jack(s) of a set of full range speakers.
    2: Connect a speaker cable from the SVT-4 PRO’s Power Amp B Speaker Output jack to the input jack(s) of another set of full range speakers.But it is better to connect the jacks instead Speakons.This connection is called a "dual mono".

3. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    +1 that's what I did to connect my 2- 4 ohms cab
    I'll suggest to go on the ampeg site and download the manual for the svt4 and read it (if you don't already have the manual)... there is a LOT of options with that amp... Better try and see what works with you...

4. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Don't waste money on speakons if you already have perfectly functional 1/4" speaker cables. I doubt you'd notice any difference until you're really pushing those cabs to their limits (which would be "liquify your liver" loud), and maybe not even then.

Of course, if what you have now is some cheap, high gauge cable only suitable for 100w beginner PAs, then yes, an upgrade might make sense. I have some pretty hefty Live Wire 1/4" cables that are about $25/ea for the 5 foot version. They have heavy duty plugs and I think they are 12 guage, and I would have to run them about 4 times as hard as I do now to feel like they were the limiting factor.

In all but very rare cases, you'll probably run out of speaker before you run out of cable.

Just connect one cab to each side of your amp with your existing cable (unless it's really low quality), and you should be fine. Save that $50 or so for something more necessary and/or fun (like strings or some kind of pedal).

5. In all honest the sound doesn't change much just by switching cables if they are both the same quality cable. . I use speakon because I once had a cab where the 1/4inch jack wore out and when I hit a low note at high volume the air the cab generated would actually push the speaker cable out. I played a couple shows by tapping the cable so it wouldn't come out and then switched to speakon. The deal with any speaker cable is you want a fat cable that is as short as possible. I had my cable built for me at a local music store, it's about 5 feet long made of the thickest cable i could find and it didn't cost anywhere near as much as ive see them for sale for. The only negative I have with the speakon jacks is of you grab your head and forget to unhook the cable you can knock your cab over or ruin a speakon jack if your not careful. I messed up a jack on an amp once doing that.