Ampeg 410 and 810 - Why does everyone use the 810?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PrettyPunkChick, Feb 5, 2009.

1. PrettyPunkChick

PrettyPunkChick

Jan 9, 2009
    I bought a 410HLF awhile ago just because it was smaller and I didn't need something as big as the 810, but I always see bands playing with them. The last time I was in GC I noticed that the 810s don't have tweeters, so I actually feel lucky that the 410 I got does. Is there a reason so many people choose the 810s even though they don't have tweeters?

2. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    With as much speaker area as an 810 cabinet has, having a tweeter becomes less important for definition. And honestly, lots of people don't really like the tweeter so much anyway. Anyway, an Ampeg SVT and a fridge is the definition of a bass rig for some, like a Marshall stack is for some guitarists. And looks aside, if you like that kind of tone and don't mind the weight, there isn't much that can beat it.

3. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    And the reason the 410HLFs DO have a specific HF driver ('tweeter') is because the way they are ported they put out a very powerful low end - 28hz with a 410 is pretty nifty. But without the HF horn and crossover, they would have not so great mid to high end. So its not that the 810 doesn't have the HF driver as much as the 410 has to have it.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Right. Plus I'm someone who doesn't really care for 410's. I use them when I have to, but I like having speakers up closer to my head so if I'm using 10"s, I greatly prefer an 810. I use two 115"s most of the time now, but if I go back to 10"s, it won't be a 410. And I have developed quite the hatred for tweeters. I even turn it off when I get supplied an HLF.

So I'd say to play whatever gear you want to play, and don't worry about what everyone else plays. It doesn't matter to anyone but the player.

5. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Carlsbad, NM
    Lots of people don't like tweeters. Some people prefer sealed cabs as opposed to ported cabs as well. The 8x10 Ampeg is also a pretty standard cab, and some people don't buy based on sound.

6. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    Because they can! I wish I was young and my back was strong, but I can't. So I try to get the biggest bang for the buck - and weight. For me this means a Schroeder 410L and an 1100-watt Eden. Gets me close at less than half the weight.
    Funny thing though. Even though the Eden-Schroeder rig comes up to about my navel, I have no trouble hearing it, including pitch. But this could be because none of my gui****s use stacks. Combos for them, the old farts! :smug:

7. roro92

roro92

Sep 14, 2008
    I would love to own a fridge (it will be here some time) but at the moment my room is upstairs (No elevator or crane) and I can't store it anywhere else. That and the fact that a 410 is more in my price range.

I've got a SVT 410 HE but turned the tweeter off...

8. But why get an 8x10 when you can get a 4x10 and a 1x15? for the small gigs you have 2 cabs to choose from....for the big gig's...a better soundin combination, IMO....

9. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Carlsbad, NM
    It's all personal choice.

The better sounding combo is your opinion. You can't replicate an 8x10's sound without an 8x10 and a lot of people like that sound. I actually find one large cab like an 8x10 easier to move around than a 4x10 and a 1x15.

10. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    One less trip with the 8x10 as opposed to two big cabs.

KO

PS: Somewhat joking.

11. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I sue an Ampeg 410HE and love it tremendously. The HLF. not so much.

12. i Understand the personal bit, But the sound isn't that much different...And the shifting part....i just find that nonsense! you can have them both in the same flight case? another band member can get another cab? if you just mean goin back to the van 1 last time for the second cab...thats just lazy...

13. Yes ampeg 8-10s can be a pain in the ass to move, but if you like the sound you have deal with it. Simply put, good or bad, nothing else sounds like one. If you don't like the sound or can live with something else your lucky, cause they do suck to haul around. If you're like myself and can't get a sound you like with anything else......well, there you go.

14. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I use two Ampeg 4x10 Classic cabs, and prefer them in every way over using one 8x10.

15. The 810 is easy to move with wheels and a towel bar handle. It gets the speakers up near your ears. It handles lots Of Power, gets loud, sounds good, and gaurentees you have enough speaker area to cover any sized gig. It looks cool, guitarists fear you, and they're rider standards so you'll always know what to expect at a new gig.

16. i think one reason the 8x10 is so well liked is for it's relatively balanced frequency response- no ports for booming low end, and no tweeter for screeching highs. Here's some of the other reasons i like to use the 8x10:

Brings some speakers up near my head so i can hear better

assures that people can hear me when we play shows w/o a stage or decent pa

one less trip to the van for gear

one less cable to forget to plug in

one less cab to ask the gui**** to help me lift (actually i can drag mine up and down stages and stairs)

it always makes the sound guy frown and go "you're going to keep that at a reasonable volume, right?"

looks intimidating to the crowd

did i mention it looks cool? :)

17. woffle

woffle

Mar 26, 2008
    When youve played an 8x10(not to mention name, we all know which one)on a big stage
    with a loud band for the first time,then you know what you have been missing.
    There is,NO substitute.
    jmo

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Wait...

Explain to me how the tweeter improves the midrange. I don't get it.

19. Nah, theres only one reason people use 8x10's..... and i admitt to this....

they look cool as F***. end off.

20. woffle

woffle

Mar 26, 2008
    some of us realise that the sound IS diferent as ie.
    2x4x10
    4x10+1x15,or whatever.Thats why we choose our 8x10.
    Not just to impress,but to enjoy our sound.
    I can belive this speaks for the most of us users.
    cheers,Woffle

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021