Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 410 hen???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Nov 28, 2000.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My local dealer has an Ampeg 410 hen 500W RMS.
    I´ve heard about the 410 hlf (400W RMS).
    They look the same to me. Whats the differense?
    I found no info on ampeg.com.
    Is it good? Better than 410hlf?
    Is it hard to move around? It looks heavy...
    Any info is welcomed.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I found all the info there.

The HE (what's an HEN???) is just half an SVT 810 cab plus a tweeter.

The HLF is a larger box (5" taller), tuned deeper, 3 dB more efficient, 20 pound heavier. Designed for folks who thinks 410 cabs don't have enough low end, I guess.

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    A hen is a mature female chicken - a poultry bird - which lays edible eggs. I used to have some hens, but they didn't do a very good job with bass amplification. ;) They were fine in all other respects, though!
    - Mike

4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have the SVT 4X10HE. I wanted more bottom end and got the 1X15. I like the sound much better and the matching cabinets look cool stacked together. The HLF has the towel bar & built-in caster system. My 4X10 weighs over 90 lbs and is a muthuh to move around. Get casters by all means.

5. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    I've A/B them ... IMO the 410hlf is the better stand alone box. It handles the lows better and comes with built-in casters and a towel bar. I bought the 410hlf (4 ohm) with the intention of dragging only one cabinet around town. (Blues band)... It is heavy, approx. 100#.

Best wishes

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    No, it was not a chicken. I saw it with my own eyes. I even played it.The plate on the back said SVT 410 Hen. 500W RMS.
    It looks like the Hlf whith towelbar but the Hlf has only 400W RMS and thats why I´m confused.

7. you're confused? my 410hlf is rated @ 500w program, 1000w peak...but i have seen specs on it elsewhere which rate it @ 400w / 800w.

the 410hlf IS a killer stand-alone cab, it can really deliver some low-end (at the expense of a little tightness at times). it is pretty heavy (and larger than the 410he) but not ridiculous, and i'd rather lug one cabinet around than two! :) it's probably marketed at people who want the oomph of an 810 but without the size.

the only "criticsm" of the box is that unless you've got a tube monster on top, it looks a bit comical with today's pizza-box 2U rack amps!

8. I just saw this cabinet at a local store here in Richmond. It does exist. I didn't happen to look at the specs, but it looked just like the 410HE.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If my memory serves me correctly the HLF was designed for 5 stringers, so its tuned deeper.

10. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    Hey Jock, just bought an Ampeg SVT 410HEN, and it is 500 watts. Its the same as a 410HE but can handle 100 watts more.

11. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    HEN stands for HE cab with Neutrik Speakon connectors. At least that what I heard.

I own one, great cab...

12. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    This may be true, but all the classic series cabinets (SVT) feature Neutrik speakon connections.

Oh, and HEN cabs are great. Same as HE but able to handle 100 more watts. If you find one, and you wanted a HE, get the HEN!

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Maybe the N stands for "new."

14. I'm not quite sure what the deal is. I have the SVT410HEN. It handles 500 watts, otherwise is identical to the 410HE. They also make a 410HLN as opposed to the 410HLF. Apparently the 'N' denotes a higher power handling. I haven't seen any 'N' cabs brand new, so maybe they were only a limited issue cabinet, made with better drivers. I got my 410HEN used, so I only payed $375 for it. It's practically brand new. The previous owner only owned it for a month, then traded a pair of them in for a PR410HLF cab. So it's in brand new condition, and I got a great deal on it. I'm happy with it.

15. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    My experience is pretty much the same as Cubeenz
    :)

16. WarwickFRK

WarwickFRK Guest

Oct 14, 2001
    I use to have a HEN but sold it. It just can handle more watts. Not sure what the deal is. It must have been released after the HE.

I got rid of it to complete my swr stack, i have a goliath 4x10 and then traded in my ampeg hen for a son of bertha 1x15, even trade, i'd say that's a deal.