Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 410 hlf Re-Wire

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joebass, May 4, 2004.

1. Joebass

Joebass

Dec 24, 2003
    Central NY
    Just picked up a new Ampeg 410 HLF for $399.00! Sounds good with my SWR 750 and Fender P. However I have an Avatar B112 that I really would like to hook up too but because of the ohms issues (Ampeg 4, Avatar 8) I run the risk of cooking the SWR (SWR does not advise going below 2.6 ohm load). Does anyone have a suggestion(s) how to re-wire the Ampeg to get 8 ohms?

Thanks.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It's not possible... The speakers in the 410HLF (a 4 ohm cabinet) are either 4 ohms each or 16 ohms each. You can't get 8 ohms out of any configuration where the speakers are getting equal power.

The manual (available on-line at www.swrsound.com) does indicate that 2.67 ohms (4 and 8 in parallel) is OK so you should be fine. Keep in mind that the HLF cabinet will get twice as much power as the Avatar...

Have fun!!!

3. Joebass

Joebass

Dec 24, 2003
    Central NY
    Billy B from LZ ....thanks! I have the older model 750 and the owners manual is not as detailed as the newer 750x's. Should be a rip playing that set-up tonight!

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I was looking at the manual for the 750, not the 750X. If you scroll down the support page the link is near the bottom.

Have fun!!!!

5. Joebass

Joebass

Dec 24, 2003
    Central NY
    Got it! Listed under Vintage Products! Thanks again...