1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 410HLF Heritage or 212AV with my Mesa Boogie Walkabout...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aladinsane1969, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Aladinsane1969

Aladinsane1969 Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm replacing my Scout 1x12 combo cab and 1x12 extension cab, and considering both but leaning toward the 410HLF Heritage. I'm looking for a warm, vintage tone that's as close to an 8x10 as possible in a smaller package.

Advice? Thoughts? Sarcasm? Arguments? ;-)

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    From what I gather, the 410HE is half of a fridge. So, if you're looking for that tone, but not that size, I'm thinking that's your deal.

As always, make room for @JimmyM so he can shed some light.

Maybe the 210s they are making get close enough in tone and make for a vertical small footprint stack?

pcake likes this.
  3. Aladinsane1969

Jan 26, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Yeah, I'm waiting for @JimmyM to chime in, for sure!

I know that the 8x10 and 4x10 Ampeg cabs are totally different animals, though -- the 8x10 is sealed, and the 4x10 is ported and has a horn (as does the 2x12 AV, but I'm wondering if that cab will ultimately sound more like the 8x10, which is why I'm asking). I really like the sound of my current 12" cabs, but I'm tired or the combo thing and having to haul two cabs around.

4. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

The 212 AV is the closet Peg cab that i've heard, that will give you what you're looking for. Imo.
    Sounds like a sealed cab, and has the warmth. It's also nice and punchy.

rodl2005 and BluesOnBass like this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    OK, chiming in.

The 410hlf sounds sufficiently Ampeggy but has a really deep low end frequency response, way deeper than the 810e. To get that 810e tone in a more medium package, get the 410he (sealed and uses the same speakers) or the 212av. But if you end up wanting that big deep low end, get the Heritage. Definitely has a better overall sound and only costs a hundy more.

Pbassmanca, reggie hall and kpc like this.
  6. Aladinsane1969

Jan 26, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Hmm... doesn't look like the make the 410e anymore, so I'd have to find a used one...? Also sounds like I may need to order both the 212AV and the 410HLF Heritage and play them both to decide....

7. Aladinsane1969

Jan 26, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Also, anyone happen to know if you can put casters on the 212AV...?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The 410he is one of their most popular cabs. Of course they still make it!

Ampeg SVT-410HE 4x10" 500-Watt Bass Cabinet

Yes, many people have. But you have to drill the holes out yourself.

9. Aladinsane1969

Jan 26, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Wow, my bad -- for some reason when I Googled it, no vendors came up, and only used ones were shown at the top of the page !

The only deal-breaker for me on that cab is it's 8 ohms -- I'm afraid my Walkabout doesn't have enough juice to really make it sing....

JimmyM likes this.
  10. If that's what you're looking for, do NOT get the hlf. It's ported, and is the lowest tuned cab they've got. Get the sealed 410HE instead. It's half an 8 stack. Turn the horn off though. Your walkabout should be just fine.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  11. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    I would imagine the 410he to be closer to the 810. The hlf version is much deeper sounding. AFAIK

12. Aladinsane1969

Jan 26, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I just found a used 212AV in "Great Condition" on GuitarCenter.com for $460 shipped and pulled the trigger. I'll give it a shot and see what I think; if I don't like it, I can always return it!

13. Deak

Deak

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    Looking forward to your report!

Aladinsane1969 likes this.
  14. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I think you'll love the 212AV and would be shocked if you don't. It's simply a great cab. It's the best cab I have. The other best cab I have is the Heritage 410! I love both for different reasons/flavors. The 212 sounds warm, old and has a pleasing punch. A great cab to mic. The Heritage is great but with a pretty different flavor. BIG (not boomy) and authoritative is the best way of describing it.

15. Aladinsane1969

Jan 26, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks for the reply! Would you say that with your amp set the same way, one cab is louder than the other? And which amp(s) are you running through them?

16. I love 12" speakers. A lot of people don't though because of how mid based they are, with less response compared to 10s. But, I like that about them. I'm sure you will too.

17. Aladinsane1969

Jan 26, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I lov
    I love 12s! I'm replacing 2 1x12 cabs with this one

18. Done. Next...stronger amp. To push the hell outta them.

Deak likes this.
  19. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I'm not an Ampeg aficionado like Jimmy and I have to be honest that I don't particularly care for the old 8 x 10 sound like I did 40 years ago. But - I can tell you that I thought that the 212AV is one of the better sounding cabinets I've heard. It's got more of a high definition, accurate sound and I like that.

eff-clef likes this.
  20. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    The 410HE is not as deep in terms of dimensions as an 810 so it's not really half of an 810. The frequency range of the 410HE is wider than the 810 as well. The 410HLF looks more like an 810 but the HLF is ported and the HE is not. I own several HE, HLF and 810 cabs. I don't hear any major differences in the tone, at least not any that can't be adjusted with the eq. The HE is a little tighter and the HLF has more bottom end.

Frequency response
    410 HLF 48 to 18k Hz
    410 HE 60 to 18k Hz
    810E 58 to 5k Hz
    212AV 71 to 18k Hz.

If I had to choose between the 410E and 212AV, I would choose the 410HE, although I like the HLF cabs better due to more low end.

Pbassmanca likes this.