Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 410HLF low end questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovejam, Jun 1, 2005.

1. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    I was set on an Aguilar Gs212 until I heard about this cab. Want it for reggae (big, warm, fat, super low tones). I hear this 4X10 sounds as big and low as a lot of 12's and 15's. Would anyone elaborate? Will this really have the low end of and Aggy Gs212?

I've also heard things about the Eden 410XLT....

Im in no area to play either of these cabs so I really need your help.

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ampeg's 410HLF is a little step above the 410HE, but its still nothing special compared to Aguilar or Eden. The only Ampegs (from experience) that I would make me feel fully confident about my low end are the BXTs and PRO models.

3. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Well I have heard that the HLF has alot of low end. I just wasnt sure if that was compared to other 4X10s or all cabs. I was hoping someone had tried them both looking for the same things I was. A little interesting that you say to only go with BXT or PRO when you just happen to be selling one... :p

4. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    It's pretty much compared to other 4x10s. From what I gathered when I bought it, it was supposed to emulate having a 4x10 and 1x15 with the ports or somthing like that. I really like the tone of it, and it has suited me very well since I've bought it.

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I own a GS212, used to own a GS410 and before that used to own an Ampeg HE 410 after testing out a bunch of Ampeg cabs.

IMO, the HLF goes low but it sounds flabby compared to most other ported cabs. In fact, I found I could eq the HE to sound as fat without sounding as mushy as the HLF. There are better 410's out there.

The Aggie 212 throws a lot of lows, and can sound very fat without getting blurry. Nice cab, IMO.

6. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Yeah, Im leaning back to the Aguilar, The 410hlf is just tuned down and ported, it doesnt contain "super" 10's or anything. I also think that most of the reggae players using the Ampeg probably got alot of support from the PA system...

7. :cool: Well, I used to have an Ampeg SVT-410HLF. Flabby wasn't exactly a way that I would have described it. It was clean, fat, and deep. My only problem with it was its weight. I used it often by itself with no 15 or 12 support and it carried the "old school" sound that I like with no problems. Can't exactly explain why one of them would sound "flabby". Oh well, each to his own.

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

Hey... that means I've got first hand experience, right? ;)

They've handled my Stingray5 and impressed me for a couple years now.... and I've tested out the SVT cabs on several different occaisions. Every time I'm at a music store I take the time to mess around with one and see if I'll change my mind.... and I never really do. Even along the lines of the 410Hlf

9. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks, Now I am back to undecided, its really to bad there is no where I could try these out. One thing is, I wont frequently be playing this cab at high volume levels... I have heard of players using the 410hlf for reggae is specific, yet none have said so for the Aguilar, then again it seems to meet all criteria. The Aguilar is 30 pounds less, but that could be due to a smaller cabinet which translates into less deep and full tone right?

Wieght is not a primary concern becuase I am young...

:meh:

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I know you explained your situation, but your ears will be your only factor my friend. So unless you get the chance to try at LEAST 2 of the cabs your thinking about, then all we can really do is throw opinions at you.... and frankly, opinions dont get you a cab.

You might just have to bite the bullet and take a stab at one of them dude. I'd try the Aggie first, because its lighter.... get it used to spare yourself some risk. If it doesnt work for you, then dump it off, get MOST of your money back, and try the Ampeg or an Eden or something.

No... not really. I cant speak for Aguilar specifically... but as far as general cabs go... then no. There's so many different kinds of wood that you can use, all with different weight, resonance, and durability. Look at Epifani's Ultralight cabs. Of course, the speakers play a roll in them being lighter, but they're still lightened up from the cab construction. And they're still monstrously loud.

11. I've got the SVT410HLF and it goes really deep and can go into very high registers. I never had a problem with it being flabby or muddy sounding at all. I sat down and A/B'd an Eden 410XLT, SWR Goliath III, and the Ampeg 410HLF. Out of those three, the Ampeg handled the most power, sounded the clearest and most articulate, IMO. Everyone has differing opinions, so hearing one is the only way to really decide. I never have liked Ampeg products, but this one made me think twice. The only other products that I would buy from them are their pre's, which I have one of, but owned 2 total. Their heads stink IMO, because they seem to be very quiet in comparison to other similar wattage heads, which I feel is a disadvantage. My Stingray has always sounded great through is and it never had any problems handling the low B. I can literally shake the rafters at church with very little effort. I hope you have some luck in finding what you're looking for.

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wrong :) You should go try out a Schroeder 1212.

The Aggy 212 is a nice cabinet. I wouldn't necesarily call it full though. It's nice and punchy, got nice lows and highs, but it's not like it gives you that full, almost 3d sounding vibe, ya know?

13. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks, and sorry that I was kind of :crying:

I heard Schroeder were good, but I dont think I currently have the patients to wait 2-3 weeks, if Im correct.

One last question, Ampeg = 98spl Aguilar = 103spl, is the Ampeg going to take alot more watts to sound good. Also, I have heard that one of the reasons the Ampeg liked is that, it projcets its sound well, does it not have as good of sound right away?

14. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Or even more important, how do these sound not only in small rooms, but at low volume levels....

15. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Man I have been playing two Ampeg SVT410HLF cabs for over a year now and it is the best move I ever made. Tight and thundering lows with my Ibanez BTB1005e 5 string. I get tons of compliments on how good my rig sounds. I am never changing. They are the exact same size as Marshall half stacks and they look cool on each side of my drummer and the Marshalls next to them.

16. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Yes this does sound like a great cab but, like I asked, does anyone know if it has the same great sound a low volume levels for practice and monitoring? Does the 98 spl make it really power hungery, Im only going to be putting a max of 400 watts into this thing for now.

17. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I run mine at very low volumes during practice. I never push the volume past 3 and it sounds good with low end too. If all you are going to do is use a cab at low volumes just get a little combo or run thru the PA. I like mine because it does sound good at low volumes then when we play out I can crank the living hell out of it and fill a small staduium. Thus, no need for different cabs for practice and live.

18. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    for "big, fat, super low warm tones" I would definitely pick the SVT410HLF over the GS212 or Schroeder 1212 which I would describe as punchy/scooped (212) and punchy/mid strong (1212) - but not "big, fat, warm, etc."

...then again, you may not hear what I hear...

19. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Yes, that is what I'm gathering. It also seems that 40 inches of cone would be better than 24 for this type of sound.

20. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    When you match them up in terms of efficiency, I can tell you that Aguilar will certainly win in that department. Even Ampeg's higher end cabs arent as efficient as Aguilar. I didnt really understand how efficiency could be an issue with cabs until I compared an Eden 210XLT with an Ampeg 210HE with the same head. I wasnt even listening for efficiency at the time... but I plugged in the Eden, and I was like "Wow... how the hell did this get so loud?".

Eden and Aguilar are obviously an entire different type of cab... but my point is: you'll notice the efficiency difference if you A/B the cabs.

If it were me, I'd take the Aguilar simply because it is a 212, and has the capability to move more air then a 410 if needed (unless you plan on expanding your rig in the future).

But again.... they're your ears. You simply have to try one or both of them out.