1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 410HLF to a Bergantino HD 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4Strings71, Mar 16, 2013.

1. 4Strings71

4Strings71

Apr 29, 2012
    Ok i am thinking of doing away with my Ampeg 410HLF and possibly going for a Bergantino HD 2x12 700w Cab at 4 Ohms.

Looked at the Berg 610 and an Eden 410XLT but the size and weight is a little big.

From what i read on here, GK Heads pair up really nicely with the Berg cabs, so my 700RB should do the trick.

Don't get me wrong, some rooms the HLF kills it but then some rooms it's just a boom box which can be hard to control.

I'm after a tighter bottom end.

Any thoughts on this possible move? Will the 2x12 be loud enough for a cover band? 700 watts versus 500 watts with my Ampeg but 2 less speakers. :hyper:

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Personally, I would make that switch in a nanosecond. No hesitation. A complete no-brainer. :meh:

I haven't heard the band. Not enough information. Who knows? :eyebrow:

Actually, the 700RB-II is rated @ 480 watts @ 4 ohms - not 700 watts. Still, it should be a great match for any halfway sensitive 2x12 cab.

MM

3. 4Strings71

4Strings71

Apr 29, 2012
    Sorry i didn't word that very well....I meant the HLF is rated at 500w and the Berg 212 is rated at 700w :)

4. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Ah. Still, the difference in cab output between a 500 watt thermal rating and a 700 watt thermal rating should be miniscule - especially if you don't make a habit of running it right at the threshold of disintegration.

The real difference is going to be tone: Ampeg mud vs. Bergantino smoothness, balance & clarity. But then, I'm thoroughly biased... :ninja: :bag:

MM

5. 4Strings71

4Strings71

Apr 29, 2012
    Berg HD212 ordered :)

6. Welcome to the Twilight Zone :cool:
    Congrats!! be sure to tell us what U think of it after a good try out :bassist:

7. 4Strings71

4Strings71

Apr 29, 2012
    Wow! These little monsters pump! 700w at 4Ohms. Very happy with my new Berg HD212. Thanks everyone!!!

8. How does it compare to your old cab?

9. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Glad you like it - just picked one up myself and it's magic. It's my third Bergantino rig, so am a big fan. Hard to think about playing another brand...

10. 4Strings71

4Strings71

Apr 29, 2012
    Well, last night I got to play my New "Bergantino 212" at a gig for the 1st time with my GK700RB and my Fender Nate Mendel P-Bass. What a huge improvement!!! I actually had a smile on my face for the whole first set. It had enough low end and i cut through the mix big time. So Happy!!! Can't wait to try it at our next gig with my old 800RB. Anyone out there thinking about getting a Berg cab.....just do it, you won't be disapointed :)

11. Great stuff! :thumbup:
    I had a "late call up" sub last night for a 4 piece soul/ jazz band.
    Took 2 x AE112's & opted against a usual "micro" for this sorta gig, took the tube beast Traynor YBA300. Lush!

12. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    for me it's bassman 100T into Berg. HT112er/EX112er. At a second rehearsal room I have a bassman neo 410 which sounds pretty good and looks the part. but when I get back on the Bergs at my main room it's just OH YEAH!!!
    everytime I think about selling the Bergs all I have to do is play on them and the thought goes away.
    the mids on these cabs cut through everything really clearly. I get nice tight/phat low end without pumping EQ to get it. for me that = no mud.

13. 4Strings71

4Strings71

Apr 29, 2012
    Does anyone else find that getting a GK700RB past 3 on their volume knob is really hard? I mean i am now using my Bergantino HD212 cab 700w @ 4 Ohms (Friggin' LOVE the cab) but i can't push this Amp any higher in volume :)
    Geez it's loud! Gonna try the 800RB next gig. The 800RB has a little hiss so i may need to get it looked at.

14. I don't have any GK gear, so I can't help ya there, but are you saying it's just too loud, the cab can't take any more or the amp is sounding pushed or maxed?

15. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I think he's saying that the 700RB-II is so powerful, and the HD212 is so efficient, that the rig goes far louder than he ever anticipated...and that he can't turn the amp up past "3" on the master volume without completely overpowering everything & everybody.

Amirite? :smug:

MM

16. I couldn't be happier with the HD212. I also couldn't be happier with the NV412, and in my opinion, they're vastly different. You really just can't go wrong with a Bergie.

17. 4Strings71

4Strings71

Apr 29, 2012
    Exactly MM. The Berg is very versatile and the 700RB is so loud. Anything over 3 on that Amp is well, i'm like the loudest in the band :)
    The Beg Cab handles the power no problem.

Just out of interest, anyone tried a Aguilar Tone Hammer 500?

18. Ahh, got it.
    I use a TH500 regularly, love it!
    The "drive" control-should be called "add the vibe of a sealed 810 cab" control IMO. Coz that's pretty much how I feel it affects the sound. Gain will accentuate overdrive-as does drive a bit (they're all quite interactive), but the drive control drops off lows & highs like a sealed, tweeter-less 810 style cab....:rolleyes:
    Whatever, great amp, light, powerful, reliable & great sounding.:thumbup:

19. 100% JB :thumbup:
    Love my NV412 -gonna use it at Sat night's gig. Probly with my Fender Studio Bass 200 - tube amp.
    Used my 2 AE112's last night at a soul/blues gig. With TH500 last night.
    :cool::thumbup::)

20. 4Strings71

4Strings71

Apr 29, 2012
    Thinking of a TH500 to pair up with my Berg HD212 now :)